Logo

1958 Evinrude 10 hp 10016 lower unit help

Papa Rob

I bought a 58 and lower end needs rebuilt. Have all new parts but cant find a good diagram in a manual to answer a couple questions.

First is the water tube.. has a "pointed" end .. does that go up or down ?

The forward gear and bushing have a groove that looks like there should be a key that holds it in place. I dont see anything in the parts diagram that would indicate one. How does that part go back together ?

On the shift linkage there is a o-ring that slides down over it by the impeller housing. Well that moves up and down as the shift linkage moves. Is that correct or am I missing something there are well.

Rebuilt many a automotive engine but these little things are tricky .. and if anyone can recommend a good detailed service manual. I bought one but the pictures are grainy and not much detail in how to put it back together....

Thanks in advance

Water tube pointed end goes down.

Remove the shift rod from the lower unit.... look closely down the hole that the shift rod was in... you'll see where that "O" Ring goes as the old one is still probably there.

Look closely at the upper lower unit housing where the bushing sits. There should be a small dowel sticking up... the groove of the bushing shoulders that dowel to lock it in place.

Last edited:
The dowels are in the upper part of the housing.---------The dowel locates the bearing for proper lube oil flow.

Thanks for the responses.. I am not seeing a O-ring anywhere .. I am trying to upload a pic of where it fits.. to see if I am ballpark close..
EV Oring.JPG

There is a brass bushing that holds that oring in place.Pick up that oring and see if there is one there. I pull the bushing to remove and replace the oring.

Back