Logo

1958 7.5hp Evinrude Fleetwin Starts but wont stay running

aidenR

My grandfather and I just purchased an old evinrude for our little john boat and we replaced the fuel lines and spark plugs are in good shape. We replaced the fuel as well and tried to clean out the carb and that was able to get the outboard to start but it never stays on for more than 15 seconds. It smells like it is burning really rich and I cant figure out how to properly adjust the two Hi/Low speed knobs to hopefully keep it idling. Any assistance on something we are missing our how to remedy this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Just 2 things to report here.-----Post the compression test values.-----And does spark jump a gap of 1/4" or more on a test device?-----Did you clean the fuel filter?----Running with pressure tank cap CLOSED or was a fuel pump fitted ?

Yeah seems like it's just running out the float bowl contents then it's conking out. Pressure tank holding air? There should be a little pump on top of the tank that lets you pump it up to get the fuel flowing. Once the engine is going the air supply to the tank will come from running engine. Our hosts have the pressure tank rebuild kits.

Just 2 things to report here.-----Post the compression test values.-----And does spark jump a gap of 1/4" or more on a test device?-----Did you clean the fuel filter?----Running with pressure tank cap CLOSED or was a fuel pump fitted ?
We didn't test compression nor hook up the spark plugs to a test device because they appear to be brand new spark plugs that the previous owner installed just before he stored it for several years. I can tell there is compression but I am unaware of the exact numerical data for it. How do I go about cleaning the fuel filter on this type of engine? The fuel tank had the cap closed and was hooked up as it should be per the owners manual.

Yeah seems like it's just running out the float bowl contents then it's conking out. Pressure tank holding air? There should be a little pump on top of the tank that lets you pump it up to get the fuel flowing. Once the engine is going the air supply to the tank will come from running engine. Our hosts have the pressure tank rebuild kits.
Yeah we have pumped that button on the tank each time before running it. The longest we got it to run for was about 45 seconds but it smelled more than I would assume is normal. We aren't sure how to adjust the hi/low speed knobs to help with the adjustment of the richness of the fuel going in. I haven't been able to find anything online on how to figure it out.

Bottom one is 3/4 turn out.----Top one ( Idle mixture ) is 1-1/2 turns out.----Motor should run and keep running with those settings.----Then you must fine tune on a boat in the water.----You can help yourself by learning how to test maximum spark output from the magneto.----And sparkplugs have nothing to do with that test either !!

Bottom one is 3/4 turn out.----Top one ( Idle mixture ) is 1-1/2 turns out.----Motor should run and keep running with those settings.----Then you must fine tune on a boat in the water.----You can help yourself by learning how to test maximum spark output from the magneto.----And sparkplugs have nothing to do with that test either !!
I have seen a lot of things regarding the turn amounts on the knobs. However in order to remove the cover we did have to remove the knobs and I am not sure how to align them properly so that I can actually tell how much I am spinning it out. Is there a way I can "reset" those knobs at all so they are aligned correctly?

I suggest you at least remove the recoil starter and the thin plate off the top of the flywheel. You can then see the ignition parts inside the flywheel. All, and I mean all 1958 Evinrude twins have cracked coils unless they have already been replaced. Yes, cracked coils will give you the kind of grief you are experiencing. If they are cracked, you are wasting your time till you replace them.

Back