Logo

165 mercruiser, inline 6cyl.

519 charlie

it's in a 1979 doral, was driving and it started to bog down. so I changed plugs , wires and a new coil. same problem, then it won't start so I changed the point and condenser, points were burnt bad, hooked up new points and when I turned the key, they fried too. what might be the problem? 165hp mercruiser, inline 6 cyl.

how long was the key ON before the new points "fried"? Mercruiser uses a ballast wire in place of a resistor...they usually fail open...so hard to say...

If the ignition is ok, I'd suspect the fuel pump if it has any age on it....

High current cooked the points. Take a close look at the engine wire harness for chafed wiring shorted to the ignition.

Went through all the wires and they all were good to the eye other than the neutral switch wire , which i changed. If the positive on the coil is grounded out somewhere, would that also cook the points?

How are you setting/adjusting the contact points?
You should be setting the contact points with a dwell meter. Point gap is an estimate only of correct dwell angle.

You may want to test the ignition coil.

Example values only

coil_checks.jpg

ignition_coil2.gif

Attachments

• Ignition contact points.jpg
    Ignition contact points.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your help and knowledge, The positive wire on the coil was grounding out and causing the points to cook. Changed the wire and she fired right up and is running perfect. Thanks again from Windsor ON. THIS SITE WAS VERY HELPFUL.

Back