Logo

15hp Powerhead removal

Dgill

I'm trying to get the powerhead separated from the exhaust housing on my 15hp. I have all of the bolts out from underneath/engine mounts (9 total) and have disconnected the shift lever as well as all the fuel and electrical lines. From my understanding I should be able to pull the powerhead off at this point but it seems like the gasket is holding the two together. Is there any trick to getting them to separate or some sort of chemical I can use to help dissolve the gasket a bit (if the gasket is actually my issue)?

Get a couple of bolts same thread size but longer than what holds the power head on. Install them and give them a good rap with a hammer and see what happens.

Get a couple of bolts same thread size but longer than what holds the power head on. Install them and give them a good rap with a hammer and see what happens.

Did that along with getting gradually larger screwdriver heads/chisels and working them into the gap that you can access below the front end of the cowling and was finally able to get it to brake free.

Back