Logo

15hp mercury 4 stroke starts and dies wont stay running?

boatboi

hi to all i have a 15hp mercury 4 stroke was running fine before christmas but now will start but stalls within a few seconds ...
i took the hose off the carb and petrol comes through on start attempt so thinking no blockage and pump okay removed looked ok seal/rubber looks fine
going to try new plugs next ideas on getting this to run needed thanks

Seafoam has a couple of videos on their website re cleaning. I haven’t looked at other products but I’d bet other fuel treatments would work and give you some ideas. I’ve had good luck with Seafoam IF the carburetor isn’t too gummed up. You haven’t mentioned checking/replacing the fuel filter. Old fuel with water contamination? Fresh fuel will be clear like water, old fuel will look like a lager or an amber ale or a stout depending upon age. Old fuel lines that have started to decompose internally?

thanks i will check that video out its new hose/bulb from tank fresh petrol filter looks clean opened pump looks ok thinking this cleaner may work

any way to test a carb ?

so i took the hose off the carb and put a bottle of petrol on higher than carb with a hole in but no petrol getting through ...so i have removed carb and soaked in liquid carb cleaner but when i try to blow fuel through carb still cant get petrol too come out anywhere ??

Back