Logo

15HP Mecury 2 Stroke - Prop Shaft Replacment

psa5555

I have a 2011 or 2012 15HP Mercury 2-Stroke. I bought it new and it's been a pain, since the day I got it... Among a few other issues, I am having problems with the prop seal. Two years ago, I figured I better check the lower unit gear oil, to make sure there were no issues. It came out all WHITE! At least half the oil clearly had water in it. I had the prop shaft seal replaced at a shop, I trust, quite a distance away from my house. After new oil drops on my garage floor again this summer... I thought I better see what was going on. It appeared to be oil, not exhaust residue. So, I drop the gear oil screws in the lower unit again and low and be hold, more white oil! I changed the oil again, and used this fall for duck hunting... after getting it ready for winter, the motor shows multiple drops of oil on my garage floor... If it's coming out, I'm sure water is getting in!

I think the prop shaft seal needs to be replaced again!! I'm not too happy about it.... Our other motor is an 82' Johnson that has never had an issue! Ever!

Can anyone point me in the right direction for cause or replacment? I have never wrapped fishing line up in it. I have wrapped grass and weeds around the prop, would that ever cause the issue? That does happen from time to time. That aside, I'm pretty handy, so I think I'll go at it myself. It looks like a I need a Bearing Carrier Tool? Along with the shaft seal kit. Does anyone have any great links to tools, kits, tutorials or videos on the process? Anything (comments, links, etc.) anyone can share would be terrific! Thanks!

Froathed oil can look like that. Let her sit overnight after a run then pull the drain plug. If there's a problem, water will always come out first. But it has to sit a while before the water separates out. A few days is even better.

Jeff

I am using Mercury High Performance Gear Lube, bought from a Merc Dealer, along with the Mercury Premium Plus Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil for oil/gas mix of fuel. I prefer quality, compatible components of the same brand. The Serial Number is: 1B900138 and the model is a 15M (Model #: 1015201FD ). Any tips or links that are helpful for conducting the pressure test? What does a complete seal kit look like and entail? I prefer to do my own repairs whenever possible... I can learn the from the process and ensure that I do it right. Thanks for replying guys!

Last edited:
Back