Logo

150 Opti won't shift

surfmore561

Hello, Can someone Please help I replaced the water pump on my 150 06' optimax and now it won't shift into reverse. It goes into fwd/neutral fine but not reverse. I tried shifting while it was running and still no luck. Thanks

Take the LU (lower unit) back off, place the gear selector in neutral and point the shift pawl on the front of the LU toward the bow. Reattach the LU.

Sorry I should have added.. I tried installing in Neutral and in forward (with both lower unit and binnacle in same gear) and with both in reverse. When I install in forward OR Neutral it shifts in and out of forward easily but won't go into reverse. When I install with both binacle and l/u in reverse it doesn't shift out of reverse. I also tried shifting with out the L/U on and it shifts fine. thanks so much for you help!

The LU shiftshaft is moving when you mate it to the upper case. If the shift control worked before the impeller was replaced then you are doing something wrong when reinstalling the LU. Install the prop loosely on the prop shaft. Place the shifter and LU into forward gear. The LU is in neutral when the prop will spin CW & CCW freely w/o clicking. Lube the sides "only" of the drive shaft and shifter splines with 2-4-C. Hold the prop in a CCW position while inserting the driveshaft. At the same time carefully align the shift shaft.

I'm pretty sure nothing moved when I reinstalled the l/u when it was in forward before. I'll try to install while putting CCW pressure on the prop. I have been using vise grips to shift the L/U into fwd/neutral/reverse. It makes me spin the prop a small amount to go into reverse. Thank you very much for your help!

Back