Logo

15 A fuse keep blowing when I turn on ignition

Dhorsup

I have a 2010 50 HP EFI 4 stroke Mercury outboard. The electric raise/lower on the outboard works fine then when I turn the key on the ignition the ignition beeps as normal and gauge lights come on however when I turn again to start the engine the ignition cuts off. Gauges go out and trim on the engine stops working. I then checked the fuses and the 15A fuse has blown.

This is very frustrating and I can't seem to trace it. Any help is sincerely appreciated.

Thanks

I have a 2010 50 HP EFI 4 stroke Mercury outboard. The electric raise/lower on the outboard works fine then when I turn the key on the ignition the ignition beeps as normal and gauge lights come on however when I turn again to start the engine the ignition cuts off. Gauges go out and trim on the engine stops working. I then checked the fuses and the 15A fuse has blown.

This is very frustrating and I can't seem to trace it. Any help is sincerely appreciated.

Thanks[/QUOTE

I'm having the same trouble with my 2014 Mercury 50 HP. Everything is fine until I turn the key to the START position. Then the fuse blows. Has anyone posted an answer for this problem?

Must have a short somewhere.

Clean up every electrical connection at the engine end that is visible, also clean up the pins on the harness.

A bit of dielectric grease on all the connections and then tightened up won't hurt.

Also look for any wire that may have been rubbed and is making contact with the block.

Something is drawing a boat load of power and causing the fuse to blow...

I have a service boat I'm tracking the same issue with but only mine is temperature sensitive and intermittentlypops the fuse. That blue 15 amp helm fuse runs forward from the 14pin engine harness and up to the neutral switch, and ignition switch and the ignition accessories power purple wire, then comes back to a suppression diode at the motor, and then to the starter solenoid. Gotta check connections all throughout that circuit as well. Wiring could be pinched in the harness ran in the boat.

Back