Logo

14' Landau flat bottom aluminum boat bent transom

Webekin

So I puchased this 14 foot Landau flat bottom boat for flathead fishing in local lakes in Kansas.
It came with a Johnsom 35 HP Electric start outboard. Heavy engine for the transom, therefore
the outside of the stern/transom is concav inward in the middle where the motor mounted.
The inside wall of the transom is rather straight, and I would like to strenghten the transom by adding
a filler bewteen the OS and IS walls. The ends of the transom are open by 3 inches to the side wall.
I'm thinking about cutting the area above the transom bracing out 6" high and 3" from the open ends,
dropping a 2x6 in first, then a 2x4, followed by another 2x6 at the top all full width to the open ends.
Then replacing the cutout to it's original location and remounting with SS screws.
When installing the lumber, I would expect the outside wall to realign more closely to straight again.
I will be replacing the 35HP with a Mariner 15HP, which will be lighter. I have removed the steering consol and the Mariner will be stick steer.
Appears that the outer wall could be 3/16 thick, and so could the inner wall. I will get a measurement tomorrow.
Would this seem a reasonable task?
Webekin

Back