Logo

130 hp2003 running rough at idle some times

Shayno

Hi guys
I have a 130 2003 Honda runs great big hours1800 most of the time but will run on three cylinders after it is at operating temperature only at idle sometimes ? I have replaced plugs, thermostats and has been well serviced can also leak oil at the top end after a decent run any ideas here please?
Cheers Shayno

First thing to do is a compress test. You could have a crack in the head allowing water to get into the cylinder once it warms up.

There is also a possibility that you have a spark issue. A clamp on kv meter could let you compare the voltages going to each spark plug. You could also compare using a timing light....although not as accurate. It could just be a bad coil.

If you have no test gear, you should at least try to figure out which cylinder is no firing. You can disconnect the connector going to each injector one at a time and see if the rpms drop when you disconnect it. It the rpms do not drop....that is the problem cylinder. Then you just have to figure out...is it compression, spark, or fuel....yes an injector could be giving you trouble...but normally they work or they don't.

There may be a host of other things, but you need to do the basics first.

Mike

Hi Mike
i have done a compression test number 1,2,3 are 178 psi number 4 150 psi do I have a problem here ? Where do I go from here please ? Is it a big job to remove the head if you suspect I may have a crack? Many thank Shayno

Agree on valve adjustment.

Before that, decarb the engine....in case there is carbon buildup in the bottom cylinder.

Then check the valve adjustment and make any necessary changes.

If compression does not come up, then a leak down test would be in order. Actually, a leakdown test before and after decarb and valve adjustment would help indicate where any potential leakage is.

As for removing the head.....it is not difficult. You do not have to remove the powerhead to do it. If you get to that point, be sure to purchase an official Honda Manual to step you through the work.

Mike

Agree on valve adjustment.

Before that, decarb the engine....in case there is carbon buildup in the bottom cylinder.

Then check the valve adjustment and make any necessary changes.

If compression does not come up, then a leak down test would be in order. Actually, a leakdown test before and after decarb and valve adjustment would help indicate where any potential leakage is.

As for removing the head.....it is not difficult. You do not have to remove the powerhead to do it. If you get to that point, be sure to purchase an official Honda Manual to step you through the work.

Mike
Thanks Guys

Back