Logo

125 HP OPTIMAX Direct Injection

Farmz

Hi All

Need some urgent help, Engine was submersed in water for 2 days and has been pulled out of the water.

despite all the calls to marine mechanics and there opinions to chuck the engine in the bin I'm sure someone has been able to save them.

luckily the batteries where switched off when boat had sunk so it seems like Electricals so far are doing ok.

When we pulled the engine out of the water we removed spark plugs and turned the key after spraying anti corrosion in the plug holes

turned key and engine tried to fire and a lot of water and crap pumped out of the spark plug holes.

Head still turns by hand but now there is a ticking sound coming from around the starter motor when the key is turned.

the starter motor engages but does not spin either when this ticking sound is happening.

I'm just not willing to give up on the engine just yet.

any help will be appreciated

Thats the starter solenoid engaging but its not putting power through to the motor as the contacts are probably corroded or the motor is defect. Best thing is take the starter off and open it on the bench to see if it can be saved. Otherwise its a new one, you need get this motor running asap or it will be scrap, the roller bearings on the crank will rust quickly so drown everything with WD40 in the mean time.

Thankyou
Ok I will have this done, I've sprayed a few cans of wd40 into the 3 spark plug holes and turned the pulley over and over again.

whats the best way to spray the roller bearings is that just into the plug holes.

i will pull of the starter motor and have it cleaned out and see what happens.

thanks again

Before you take off the starter you could try to short it across the two large terminals to see if it will spin, if so you can have some one hold the key to crank and to pull the bendix into mesh with the flywheel and then short across the terminal to juice the starter, that way you might get it to start if you are sure all the water is out of the cylinders and crankcase, if not then use this method to crank it over without the plugs in while spraying WD40 into the throttle inlet, you may have to remove the two oil tank bolts on top to get access (gas wide open to get the air and spray in while cranking )

Hi Draco

By shorting the starter this means giving it direct power from the battery to the starter and turning the key at the same time. Cheers
its just on midnight now so ill have this done first thing tomorrow morning.

That's correct, you may just be lucky and get it to run, if it fires up it needs to run for a good 1/2 hr to cook off any moisture, good luck.
You could also open the two small drain screws each side of the fuel pump housing, they are connected by a rubber hose, just to get any water out of the injection system before you fire it up.

Hi Draco

Appreciate your response although a few people have told me the engine should be thrown in the bin , I really need to have a crack at having it running again. Unfortunately it was a uninsured brand new engine with only 10 hours run time . So a stupid mistake I would say,
I do have a mechanical backround so will more then likely do most part with my own hands.

I'm not sure on the condition of the PCM Or how to go about checking this part.

when the engine was pulled out of the water
I removed the

sparks
injectors
VST tank
starter motor
and flooded the motor with anti corrosion inhibitor so head still spins really well and possibly may not have had much water inside

the only obvious issue was the booster pump in the vst tank which looked fried.

when the key is turned starter motor engages and spins the head and we still have spark!

what would be your recommendations from this point on.

any help would be greatly appreciated as I need to do everything I can to get this going again.

thNks again in advanced.

Its a bit of a Catch 22 as there are 3 things that you have to have operating before it will run, fuel, air, and ECU for the injection system.
You need to check if the fuel and air injectors are getting a signal and are working, also is the compressor providing enough pressure and the fuel pump you mentioned.

Back