Logo

115hp Trigger Old V's New

Dans99

Hey all,

My 1994 115hp uses old style ignition with single CDI module.
I would like to convert to the newer CDM type coils that i have purchased.
I'm already running newer style red stator. My question is can i still use the older type trigger? i noticed the newer trigger has an extra wire to ground.

Appreciate anyone's help with this before i dismantle all of the electricals.

The older triggers are fairly common failures. My 115 has been all redone with CDI parts about 10 years back. Just did a 90 horse "tower". The owner said it has never ever run so good, all CDI stuff installed, but still has the original 1986 coils. They not only tested perfect, but run perfect. Not so sure the newer style coils are even as good. Here is his boat. Pretty frickin cool. He built it himself from an old 1986 Pete. Added a center pontoon.

Attachments

• IMG_20210730_203039511_compress56.jpg
    IMG_20210730_203039511_compress56.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210730_190126159_compress68.jpg
    IMG_20210730_190126159_compress68.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 26130.jpeg
    26130.jpeg
    319 KB · Views: 10
You would have to change: trigger, ignition plate wiring,stator and flywheel. Doable if you find a wrecked motor

I never saw anything like that before. Getting a tour and reasoning of/behind the whole idea and construction including pictures would really be something to see/hear.....think he is game to tour us?

The guy, Jeff Foster, started a trucking company in his early 20's. Very talented driver, tradesman and mechanic. Has his own Cessna too. He even bought and restored an old great lakes ice breaker, saving it from scrap. I will call him and see if he has the build documented. He at first wanted to go to a newer 4 stroke, he was having trouble finding someone to work on the "tower". As you might guess, he is quite busy to play on his own stuff anymore. Still has his first car, think it's a 56 Bel-Air with 283 4 speed. Really neat dude....thinks WAY outside the box.

Attachments

• IMG_20210730_190030641_compress47.jpg
    IMG_20210730_190030641_compress47.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 4
Thank you guy.

On the '56 Bel Air with the 283 V8 small block, 4 on the floor, painted Turquois and White, 2 door hardtop, matching color coded interior as was the custom at the time, dual Smitty Glass Packs, "I lusted my heart" (Jimmy Carter) for that machine. My girlfriend at the time, later wife of 49.5 years (deceased) had a boyfriend who was an undertaker making money and had one. I was just a high school (as she was) guy using moms '51 2 door Custom Ford with the new Fordomatic. But I guess all the glitter and glory didn't snag the prize......but I had a boat and he didn't!!!!!!!!

Holy crap, Pappy. Looks like it's ready to go airborne. Not a ride for me. I prefer to do my flying in an airplane. You da man, Pappy, on the "towers". Always loved the exhaust note of the in line 6. Now Mopar is going back to the inline 6 for big power. I couldn't help thinking....Ooh Yaah? Here you got 7 main bearings to work with, not only 5 like in a V8.Opportunity to easily supply overhead cams, crossflow, plenty room for turbo and perhaps more acceptable dynamics for minimizing cylinder wear, if the cylinders are configured standing vertically.
Who wants to marry an undertaker? The guy with the boat, wins the prize. However, my brother Dell, got the sweetest girl in school, driving the black 67 Ford Country Sedan Wagon....but man, could he drive? The other cool guy in school had a really decked out Visa Cruiser. Those were the "good ole days", for sure.

Last edited:
Holy balls. Those dudes are pretty cool. I've rebuilt several 240/300's. Never dreamed they could produce that kind of power. The bottom ends are nearly indestructible....that's with the original cast iron crank too. The cam grind must have been really right on target. Power at low rpm (5000) is a great thing. Torque 15% ABOVE horsepower is incredible. That's the kind of stuff that puts a bulge in the pants, brother. Used to be girls....now it's torque. These modern high revin' peaky torque engines...&...8 speed transmissions....don't impress me. Let's go for a ride in my 429 SCJ stripped out 67 Ford Wagon. They can keep their whining Hellcats and Demons. So in comes electrics??? No more gas??? WTF, I'm going back to my bicycle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220108-233131~2.png
    Screenshot_20220108-233131~2.png
    604.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Holy balls. Those dudes are pretty cool. I've rebuilt several 240/300's. Never dreamed they could produce that kind of power. The bottom ends are nearly indestructible....that's with the original cast iron crank too. The cam grind must have been really right on target. Power at low rpm (5000) is a great thing. Torque 15% ABOVE horsepower is incredible. That's the kind of stuff that puts a bulge in the pants, brother. Used to be girls....now it's torque. These modern high revin' peaky torque engines...&...8 speed transmissions....don't impress me. Let's go for a ride in my 429 SCJ stripped out 67 Ford Wagon. They can keep their whining Hellcats and Demons. So in comes electrics??? No more gas??? WTF, I'm going back to my bicycle.

Torque on a series wound DC motor is impressive for the size of the device as compared to other power sources.

Back