Logo

115 tower of power

Tyler2019

I have just recently bought a used 115 mercury and when I got it home and on my boat I tried starting it and it started up and ran for about 5 seconds then died. When it died I tried turning it over again and it acts like it is siezing up... I can turn it over by hand with a wrench on the flywheel and loosen it up a bit then it will turn over with the starter again until it starts and the process starts all over. My question being why is it locking up on me? I have muffs running water to it and gas is mixed as it should be. Any help is appreciated.

Serial # of this motor ?----Drain gear oil.----Any water in gearcase?---Remove sparkplugs and crank it over with hose running.----Any water coming out of plug holes ?------Report what you find.

I can get the serial # tonight. I checked the lower unit oil and it seemed fine. I removed the lower unit and turned motor over without plugs in it and it is still very hard to turn over. Im wondering if it could be the upper shaft bearing?

If this motor had water in it ( submerged / internal leaks ) then bearings could all be rusted / jammed.-----I cannot get my hands on your motor.----I would remove intake bypass covers and look at pistons.

Pull the plugs and inspect for water intrusion. Also compression test. Sadly you may have purchased a parts motor

Back