Logo

'03 Honda 225

tompass

Contributing Member
Getting solid red light on three light panel with beeps one second on and one second off. Shut down and start up both gone but occasional happens again particularly at lower RPM's. Motor runs just fine. O2 sensor???

When alarm sounds get to open water then turn engine off and then re-start and give it at least 3000 rpm for at least 10 minutes. If alarm goes away there is a really good chance the o2 sensor is acting up. I replaced my o2 sensor last year and lately when I first start the motor in the morning and idle for a while the o2 alarm sounds. When I get out of the harbor I re-start and run half throttle for a while and the alarm stays off all day till the next time I use my boat. It acts like the o2 sensor needs to warm up, once it warms up its fine to idle stop and start and run any speed with no issues.

Last edited:
Exactly what I did the other day. Same results except when restarting, the alarm did not sound and red check engine light did not illuminate. Going out Monday again and will repeat the process and see if I get same results. Motor runs great with or without the alarm. Did ask mechanic to pull codes and bring a O2 sensor to boat to install as it will likely be the solution. We shall see. Thanks.

Went to boat today and used the blinky/winky thing and the code on check engine light was light on/3 second interval/light on/3 second interval etc. A bit of reading seems to indicate that indeed was an o2 sensor issue. Cleared the code. Started engine and let idle several times and no lights or beeps. Hopefully was a one off issue but will be out tomorrow on boat and will have to see what happens.

Remember that o2 sensor at idle can also be the Inlet Air Control Valve mesh. 8 minute job, two bolts, connector and clean mesh on the valve.

FYI. According to the helm shop manual, code "1" can be caused by a failing HO2 sensor, a misfiring plug, a failing coil, or fuel pressure out of spec (41 - 48 psi.)

Back