Logo

‘91 DT175 power trim problem

cgrif

Hello all,

As stated my motor is not trimming. It is not batteries, all connections and wires are solid and appears no corrosion (it’s a fresh water engine so no salt). Once in a while I can get the motor to trim up a bit but then stops. I can hear a clicking sound when I try to trim up or down from the trim switch located on the motor itself. It sat for a couple of months. I went to get it ready for a tournament and noticed the trim was lazy, and figured the batteries were low. After I had it charging for a few days the trim barely would move. Has anyone had similar problems with their older DT? Any suggestions on where I can start the trouble shooting would be great. Thanks in advance. Cory

IMG_6366.jpegIMG_6367.jpeg

I don’t think your issue is white wire related but still worth a read. The two screenshots are from a 2009 DF90A service manual…not your engine but should be similar. I’ve never had to delve into the trim/tilt system so I have no hands on experience.

Great read. Very much appreciated William. The funny thing is my motor starts like a top and all dash components are working fine. One thing though, the trim switch at the motor has worked slightly a few times, but since this failure occurred the trim switch on the throttle has no response or even clicking sounds. Thanks again for the info. This will help me to move in the right direction I think. My ears are still open though if there are any other pointers.

Sounds like a corrosion issue, gradual deterioration of continuity. I’d be pulling every plug/fuse holder/switch apart looking for corrosion/oxidation feel the wires in the wiring loom for brittleness/breaks, checks the grounds also. Hopefully the wiring schematic(assuming it’s close to your engine) will help guide you. If you don’t have a service manual I’d suggest you get one selffixer.com likely has one for around $12US in pdf form, at least you’ll get a wiring diagram for your engine. If your boat is anything like mine can’t hurt to take a muscle relaxant before you start chasing wires, seems you need to be a contortionist to access all the wiring.

Back