Logo

Mercury trim gauge not working ?

cocomo

I HAVE A '98 MERCURY 150 ON A HURRICANE DECK BOAT, I JUST REPLACE THE TRIM SENDER ASSY. AND THE GAUGE IS STILL NOT WORKING. CAN IT BE THE GAUGE? IF SO HOW DO YOU TEST IT, TO SEE IF IT WORKS. IT'S A TELEFLEX # 59646 :mad:

Last edited:
Welcome to Iboats; First make sure you are getting 12V + and Grd from the sender at the gauge with a test light or Muilty meter. If good test the wire from the sender to grd as you trim the motor up and down,with ohms scale on muilty meter, reading should change as the motor is raised and lowered. If test reading dosen't change, test wire from gauge to sending unit for continuty. if all check out good then gauge is bad.
Oldman570

Hi oldman,
i'm not to hip when it comes to electric stuff. I used the test light and checked the brown/white ( sender wire ) at the motor and i get nothing. When you check the gauge with the test light, do you clip on to the ground post then the sender wire, and the test light should come on, right.

What are you smoking?
Sorry Guyjg! Forgot where I was at.
Yes the test light should light with the light accross the + and sending termson the gauge, and the motor in the down position with key switch on. If it dosen't light then you have a problem with the wire from the gauge to battery supply or wire from gage to sending unit.
Oldman570

Oldman...NBD!

Cocomo: This is simple trouble shooting 101. W/all due respect if you and anybody else doesn't understand it I suggest that you read a book on simple DC circuits or sign up at the local vocational school for Intro. to DC Circuits 101. You will be glad that you did it since it will help you understand how the engine's electric systems work and make it easier to repair.

The trim position sender is a simple potentiometer or variable resistor. Its movement varies the voltage sent to the guage to show the position of the drive in the water. That's why mertech said
just ground your sending wire, if it pegs the gauge it works. if not replace the gauge.
By doing that you are removing the position sender from the circuit.

Hi oldman,
to see if i was getting power to the trim gauge, i went from ground to ignition terminal and test light came on, then tried the ground and the sender terminal.that did not light up. I removed the gauge to check it out, and notice that the rubber seal was pulled away from around the rim, so i put the glass part of the gauge in 1/4 in. Of water and water got inside lens. If nothing else worked , can i assume the proplem is the trim gauge ?

I installed new trim sender on 2005 Mercury 75hp outboard. Works great but gauge moves in reverse. Trim motor down and gauge needle goes up. Trim up and gauge needle moves down. ???

Back