Logo

2006 Mercury 60hp EFI Tilt/Trim Issue

jasonbradmorris

The issues I'm having is the motor will go down by itself when running in the water and also it will not trim up when I'm running it in the water. When I slow down (no load) it will trim up and down normal. So I trimmed the motor up and manually pushed down on the motor and it slowly goes down. I checked my cap. It was tight. I checked my fluid. It was at the appropriate level. The motor works fine. The cylinder goes up and down just fine. It is only an issue when the cylinder is under a load. The tilt/trim unit is on my Bass Tracker 175tw. I have never had a bit of problems out of it. I need all of the help that I can get. It was fine one day and not the next. Thank you

If this is the single ram system most of the ones i see with this problem is the check valve/s in pump..about $100 ea. Usually customer gets a used one off Slezbay to fix.

If this is the single ram system most of the ones i see with this problem is the check valve/s in pump..about $100 ea. Usually customer gets a used one off Slezbay to fix.

It is the single ram system. You have the motor on one side of the unit and the cylinder on the other. I will try to take it off and rebuild it, if I can. There are seal kits on Amazon for $30. I will search for the check valve as well. Thank you for your help.

check valve.jpg

Is this what you are calling a check valve? I pulled up the online parts catalog, and they call it a relief valve. Also there is ZERO fluid leaking anywhere, if that makes a difference.

No ..this and there are 2 of them in pump.

809879A1.jpg

I have not started working on it yet. I got busy yesterday and didn't get a chance to work on it.

If any of this stuff is leaking, shouldn't I have oil coming from somewhere?

This screw is the bypass to raise or lower the engine with out the use of the electric motor. It does not leak fluid if loose. It only lets fluid bypass inside the pump. If the screw is slightly loose it will let the fluid out of the trim ram back into the reservoir.

Here we go fellas. I know that this is an old thread, but I am bumping it again. I replaced the 2 poppet valves inside the trim motor manifold. I rebuilt the cylinder. i replaced the plastic relief valve screw with a stainless one. I have rebuilt EVERYTHING that can be rebuilt. The problem still remains and I do not know where to go from here. The leak down was bad enough that I could push it down by hand. Now, I can no longer push it down by hand, but it still leaks down during throttle. Please help.

Back