Logo

1986 OMC 4.3 L With Stringer Outdrive

Jason L

Hello,

I purchased a boat site un seen (my bad) to use for a part boat (the boat itself is junk). I wanted the motor and outdrive to repower a 19 ft run about that I already owned. The guy failed to mention that the boat had a OMC engine not a Mercruiser and he did not mention at the boat had a Stringer outdrive which I have never had any dealings with before. I am very lucky to have a good mechanic (that a good friend of mine) where I work so we got the motor and outdrive running. It seem to be all operating correctly according to the service manual I purchase. Finally here's my question at the end of the day are the motor and outdrive worth anything and if so what? Thanks for everyones help in advance.

Last edited:
you can still use the long block 4.3 with a Mercruiser drive. As far as selling it - you pretty much determined its value when you bought it. Used boat part prices are a local thing. You won't get a lot of meaningful numbers from around the world. Check the local craigslists and kijijis

you can still use the long block 4.3 with a Mercruiser drive. As far as selling it - you pretty much determined its value when you bought it. Used boat part prices are a local thing. You won't get a lot of meaningful numbers from around the world. Check the local craigslists and kijijis

hystat, Thanks for the information.

As of late I purchase a Manta Ray 189 FS that only has hundred and ten hour on the motor. I purchased the boat from the original owner. The boat currently has a Mercruiser 3.0 LX with an Alpha one out drive. The 3.0 liter needs some attention which I knew when I purchased the boat. The person that I purchased the boat from provides a copy of the work that a local marine repair shop made. The marine repair shop had reworked the head. New head gasket, valve cover gasket, exhausts manifold gasket, etc. The boat had since developed a knock in the low end of the engine. The boat owner that I purchased the boat from did not want to spend any additional money on the boat his kid were groin and had off to college. As I have stated in my previous question I purchased a boat site un seen (my bad) to use for a part boat (the boat itself is junk). I wanted the motor and outdrive to repower a 19 ft run about (with the 3.0 liter) that I already owned. The guy failed to mention that the boat had an OMC engine not a Mercruiser and he did not mention at the boat had a Stringer outdrive which I have never had any dealings with before. I realize that I cannot use the stringer out drive but with that being said what kind of obstacles will I encounter? What parts will I need to make the exchange? Can I use the Alpha one out drive that can with the 3.0 liter? Thanks for everyone’s help in advance.

Great! Including the intermediate housing? Do you or anyone know whether this will bolt up to a 1969 small block? i have a 1969 OMC 210 setup.

I could be wrong but I think the 3.0 is a 400 drive and the small block is a 800. I'm sure I have seen that somewhere.

3.0 is a 4 cyl. with a 400 drive thats what I have . but I understand the 4.3 is a v8 and has a 800 drive. But as I say I could be wroung.

3.0 is a 4 cyl. with a 400 drive thats what I have . but I understand the 4.3 is a v8 and has a 800 drive. But as I say I could be wroung.
That's also my understanding that the 800 drive which is what I have will fit a 4.3 liter V6 as well as a V8. I have it and would like to get rid of it. Thanks for all your help

Back