Logo

Replace Engine Coupler

To All,

I have a 2002 176 with a 3.0l MCM. I believe I need to replace the Engine Coupler. Engine revs but little to no action on the prop.... Question is do I need to pull the motor to change the coupler? ALso, need to find the correct replacement part. The engine serial number is 2A035344.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all..

Ron

Are you certain the prop hub is not slipping?

Jeff

Yes. I'm able to put the drive in gear and turn the prop by hand. I can hear the lower unit shaft turning as well as the main driveshaft into the motor. I also had the strong smell of rubber burning and smoke. Also, low rpm and the prop had some authority but only for a short time. Motor runs strong but no prop... I don't think it could be anything else. Open to suggestions....

Thanks,
Ron

Yes. I'm able to put the drive in gear and turn the prop by hand.

Ayuh,.... That proves Nothing,..... The hub can be blown, but still turn by hand,.....

'n, Yes, the motor Has to come out to change the coupler,.....

Ayuh,.... That proves Nothing,..... The hub can be blown, but still turn by hand,.....

'n, Yes, the motor Has to come out to change the coupler,.....

bondo,

Thanks for the reply...

I have a question... So your saying it could possibly be the hub or the coupler? How can I narrow it down to one or the other? I really have no intentions of pulling the motor on this project. So if it turns out to be the hub that would be terrific. On the other hand, it it's the coupler that just too much of a project to undertake... Shame, it is a good clean 176 bow rider little boat, with a strong 3.0l GM but you have to know when to fold'em...

Thanks,
Ron

shift into gear, have someone watch the shaft behind the motor stand on a blade to see if it turns
prop turns, shaft turns=coupler
prop turns, shaft does not= internal drive damage

shift into gear, have someone watch the shaft behind the motor stand on a blade to see if it turns
prop turns, shaft turns=coupler
prop turns, shaft does not= internal drive damage

Bt Doctur,

So you are completely ruling out the prop hub as the culpert and looking at either the coupler of internal drive problem. Is that correct?

I need clarification on something you said. I can turn the prop, but as the drive is still in the boat I can't see the drive shaft. I perhaps could get a mirror inside the motor compartment and have someone see if the shaft is turning as I rotate the prop.

Really appreciate your input on this...

Ron

Back