Logo

Water in Oil... Please help!

greichert1

Hi everyone. Not sure if this is the correct section to post in but here goes anyway... I have a 72 Kona with a mercruiser 3.0. I've been trying to get this boat restored for months now. Bought it (running) for $500 but had a bad outdrive and other various issues. I now have almost all the bugs worked out and was ready to hit the water for the first time the other day when I discovered water in my oil. Did an oil change just to be positive and sure enough the fresh oil turned milky again. So i went down today and bought a new valve cover, manifold and head gaskets. Tore it down, replaced the gaskets, refilled with oil and fired it up..... Oil turned milky again! Weird thing is that the oil level does NOT seem to be rising or if it is, its rising very slowly. Does anyone have an idea where the water could be coming from? Any help would be more than appreciated. Thanks

Found a crack in the manifold. Water is leaking out of the water jacket into the exhaust ports on manifold. Could this be how the water is getting in the oil?? The intake ports on head seem to be saturated with oil... What is going on here!? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

If the oil level is rising, it must be at a very slow rate... I don't see a rise on the dipstick but the oil is milky after 5mins of running in driveway. I flushed the engine with fresh oil before refilling and it seems to be pretty milky again so sadly I don't think its residual from before repairs... Crankcase is blowing a pretty good amount of air out of vent tube on top of valve cover. What would this mean? Piston ring blow-by? I did use the proper torque patern on head and manifold. Like i mentioned in previous post, I have found a crack in the manifold leaking water into the exhast ports. With the water in manifold and piston rings blowing by, could this be how water is entering the engine? I just don't want to replace the manifold is there's other issues. Any ideas? Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

So does that mean that you don't think that the water leaking into exhaust ports from the cracked manifold is the culprit? I was really hoping that i could swap the manifold and call it a day...? Any thoughts?

So does that mean that you don't think that the water leaking into exhaust ports from the cracked manifold is the culprit? I was really hoping that i could swap the manifold and call it a day...? Any thoughts?

Ayuh,... I think the Block Cracked the same time the Manifold Cracked,....

When they Froze....

Odds are, ya need Another motor,...

Ok, so heres the update... I pressure tested the engine cooling system(with head on) and it seems to hold just fine. A new manifold costs close to what the boat is worth so i decided to try jb-weld on the crack first. The jb-weld seems to be holding up well and the manifold now holds pressure. I once again put everything back together with new gaskets and oil. Fired it up today just to get milky oil once again! If the water jackets all seem to be holding pressure, then where could the water be coming from? The exhaust ports are now bone dry where they were filling with water before. The intake ports are once again soaked with what looks to be oil. I am at a loss here... I cant afford to just buy a new engine. Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on here? Thanks for any input.

I pressure tested the engine cooling system(with head on) and it seems to hold just fine.

Ayuh,.... How'd ya pressure test it,..??

I'm thinkin' ya Need a new motor...

First off I just want to thank everyone on here for all the helpful advise. This is a great forum and I wouldn't have gotten this far without you guys... Now with that said, I see that you are an outstanding contributor "bondo" but contributing the same useless advise over and over is not very helpful to me... I understand that you think I need a new engine but do you have any reasoning behind that diagnosis or is that just your go to advise? I mean i'm sure it'll fix my problem but it seems a little excessive dosen't it? If my window breaks, i'm not going to buy a new house. I'm going to buy a new window. I'm here to pinpoint the problem, not to be told that I need a new engine or a new boat... Now if you have some info to back up your diagnosis then I am all ears but "It's broke" isin't helpful. Thanks again everyone for all the useful advise. I'll keep at it and update as soon as possible.

First off I just want to thank everyone on here for all the helpful advise. This is a great forum and I wouldn't have gotten this far without you guys... Now with that said, I see that you are an outstanding contributor "bondo" but contributing the same useless advise over and over is not very helpful to me... I understand that you think I need a new engine but do you have any reasoning behind that diagnosis or is that just your go to advise? I mean i'm sure it'll fix my problem but it seems a little excessive dosen't it? If my window breaks, i'm not going to buy a new house. I'm going to buy a new window. I'm here to pinpoint the problem, not to be told that I need a new engine or a new boat... Now if you have some info to back up your diagnosis then I am all ears but "It's broke" isin't helpful. Thanks again everyone for all the useful advise. I'll keep at it and update as soon as possible.

Ayuh,.... I Was tryin' to help ya find out Which window is broken,...

But,... hey,... you know it All,.... You figure it out....

Quite the opposite actually... If I knew it all, then I wouldn't be here asking questions. I'm just saying that your input is useless to me. If you we're actually trying to help then you must have some sort of suggestion... Example- Maybe the block is cracked, try a cooling system pressure test... I saw no such USEABLE input in your post, maybe I skipped over it? Maybe YOU can afford to just change the engine every time it hiccups but we aren't all that lucky. Oil in the water Isin't necessarily a death sentence for a boat... I mean I appreciate your guess but I think I'll keep trying to find the actual problem...

I'm just saying that your input is useless to me.

Ayuh,.... Maybe if You answered the questions posed, you might accept that you've got a Cracked Block, 'n you Need a different motor....

Instead, yer throwin' a hissy fit, 'bout My postin' abilities, 'n knowledge,..??

There's No possible way for water to go from the exhaust manifold to the oil pan, when the motor is Runnin'....

You have a Cracked Block....

Uhh, which question are you refering to? "Ayuh,.... How'd ya pressure test it,..??" I pumped all the water jackets full of air and waited for the gauge to drop... Is there another way to pressure test that I am unaware of? And who is throwing a hissy fit? I believe I was pretty cool and collected about my rant... There is a test for every diagnosis and all i'm sayin is that if you're gonna GUESS that my engine is cracked, then you might want to back it up with a diagnosis, like; "If your pressure test doesn't hold, then you have a cracked block..." Now that is constructive... I mean, that is what this forum is for right...? And no, I haven't changed the valve guide seals yet, but thanks kimcrwbr1, definitely good advice. I cranked the pressure tester up to 20(actual)psi since I realised my tank gauge was pretty inaccurate. Manifold leaks but engine will hold 20psi all night long. Ordered a manifold today and will get to the valve guide seals while i'm waiting for it to come in. Ill update as soon as possible... Thanks again everyone

So here's the update... The new manifold came in and I put everything back together yesterday. Ran it for about 30mins(The longest that i've ever run the engine) NO MILKSHAKE!!! Finally! Thanks everyone for all the help! Can't wait to get out on the water FINALLY!!! Still runs a little rough though. Idles perfectly, but randomly missing and sputtering when throttling up... Already changed the old contact set and plugs. The boats been sitting for years so i'm thinking bad gas...? I drained as much as possible originally and filled up with premium, but I think there was still a gallon or two of old gas left in there... Any thoughts anyone...?

Back