Logo

1995 60 hp mercury Power trim problem

judge

Having problems with lifting the motor it makes the noise that it always makes but just dont move the boat motor up if i press the up botton an lift it as im press the trim botton i can lift it does thst mean that its stuffed need help desperately pls thanks in advance

I had the same problem. As the seals (o rings) inside the lift cylinder go bad it will leak oil, slow but sure out around the lift rod. I pulled mine apart carfully and bought
new o rings and filled it with hydraulic oil. It has worked perfectly for years now. JC

I had the same problem. As the seals (o rings) inside the lift cylinder go bad it will leak oil, slow but sure out around the lift rod. I pulled mine apart carfully and bought
new o rings and filled it with hydraulic oil. It has worked perfectly for years now. JC

Is it a big job to change the seals in them

Not really if you have some tools and are mildly mechanically inclined. Disconnect the battery. Take off the engine cover so you can trace the wire from the trim motor up to the engine and disconnect it. Somehow trim the engine up so you can get to the trim unit. If I recall there is a pivot pin on the top and the bottom. The pins may be held in by a set screw or some sort of pin. Remove the pins and the trim unit will come out. Once you have it on the bench you will see on the top of the lift cylinder around the rod there is a retainer with 2 holes ( like a spanner). With a punch and hammer carefully screw the retainer out of the cylinder. Once you have that off you can pull the rod and piston out. You will then see the oring seals. There will be one or two on the piston and one inside the hole of the retainer that seals around the rod. You may buy a rebuild kit from Merc, but I simply measured the orings and ordered them through a industrial supply house that I use. Lube them up with some oil when you put it back together. Look at the parts to see if there is any obvious damage, but more than likely it is just the seals. As I recall there is a fill plug on the bottom of the pump, you can get a small bottle of hydraulic oil at the car part store, Fill it and test it on the bench with a battery or battery charger to be sure you have enough oil in it. Just take your time and it's not a bad job at all. If anyone has more advice post it up. JC

If you look close on the right side of the pin there is a C clip that holds the pin in place, It is hard to see,

The only clamp i can see is on the screw that releases the pressure to Manual lift the motor there was a on the left side of the pin there was a nail like thing would that be the only thing holdingbthe pin in

If you look close on the right side of the pin there is a C clip that holds the pin in place, It is hard to see,

The only c clip i can see is on the screw that releases the pressure to Manual lift the motor there was a on the left side of the pin there was a nail like thing would that be the only thing holdingbthe pin in

IMG_8606.jpg
You can just barely see the C clip on the bottom pivot shaft through the hole. As I remember it was a little tricky to get out and back in.

Isnt the pin the next hole down from where ur tlking isnt that the screw to release the pressure so the engine can be lifted manually

Would anyone know if a 2006 75hp power trim unit fit on a 1995 60hp they look the same just need to know before i purchase it on line thanks in advance

Back