Logo

New motor- Just want to make sure its propped good...

MJ Cummings

I just got a brandy new 2016 Evinrude Etec. i want to make sure its propped right-

Its on a 1985 Starcraft SF 16'- rated for 40.

boat- 550 including fuel. Gear/ People 550.

I have a 10.3x12 prop on her. The anti-vent plate was too low (fixing it now)- it was too hard to steer and was measured 1/2 inch under keep. going for even to 1/8 in above the bottom. I figure its propped pretty well, at most go for a 10 1/8x 13.

Am i on point? if so please lemme know!

Attachments

• Evinrude.jpg
    Evinrude.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Evinrude Motor Only.jpg
    Evinrude Motor Only.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 127
Once you get it trimmed properly and distribute the weight accordingly use WOT rpms to determine if you need to change prop pitch. The big danger with a riveted aluminum boat is getting airborn. Make sure enough weight is up front to keep it on the water.

Once you get it trimmed properly and distribute the weight accordingly use WOT rpms to determine if you need to change prop pitch. The big danger with a riveted aluminum boat is getting airborn. Make sure enough weight is up front to keep it on the water.

I worked the trimming the other day. #3 hole with someone and for best top speed alone, and #2 for windy/ medium chop. #4 hole id a no go :) It stood up pretty well, and I am sure #5 hole will get it vertical....

It did 27.5 on #2 hole, 30.1 on on the #3 hole and porpoised with more trim.

I know what WOT means. Im not new to engines- Hell, I built a 427 small block that does 10's all day w/ a 2 speed powerglide ect. No NOS or power adders. Just Bow Tie Perfection.

Where did you get a 427 small block. You are missing a key piece of information what are your rpms. You want to prop your motor for the upper range of your WOT range with a light load.

flying scott, Maybe we will get a response in a month or two about another 427smallblock that does 9's,I have a feeling there is no tachometer on his setup

Back