Logo

1993 OMC 5.0 Cobra Fuel Issue

bad88ttop

Hi guys, Thanks for welcoming me to the forum. I have a 93 Chris Craft 21 with a 5.0 fuel injected Ford which is OMC equipped. The boat doesn't get much usage and the other day going up the river at full speed it just died. (Yes it had gas in it; lol) I confirmed it had spark and even replaced the Control Module for the ignition without any success. I checked the fuel pressure with a gauge (using the port on the right side fuel line) and it has none. When I turn the key I can here the fuel pump run but it will only build pressure if I crank it for several seconds. Upon further research, I notice 2 fuel pups. One sits behind the upper intake plenum and another on the left side of the engine by the spin on fuel filter. I actually ordered a high pressure pump on Ebay but haven't replaced it yet thinking that was the issue. Lastly, I pulled the pick-up out of the tank and confirmed it wasn't plugged or corroded. No issues there. I also unplugged the vacume line on the regulator and no fuel came out of the vaccume port.
I'm really looking for help as to diagnose the issue as I need to winterize it as its almost freezing at night. I welcome your input and thanks. Bill

as I need to winterize it as its almost freezing at night.

Ayuh,..... Then Drain the block, 'n manifolds,....
Should be drain plugs, 1 each side down low on the block, 'n 1 each exhaust manifold,....

Is each fuel pump gettin' power,..?? makin' pressure,..??
Did ya inspect the Contents of the fuel filter for anything but clean fresh gasoline,..??

Yea. Both pumps are making noise anyhow. Thx. I didn't think of pulling the plugs yet as I was hoping to fix it first. It will pump up to 40 lbs when I'm cranking it but that's it. It won't build any pressure by just turning the key on. Any idea whatvpump is the high pressure pump?
Ayuh,..... Then Drain the block, 'n manifolds,....
Should be drain plugs, 1 each side down low on the block, 'n 1 each exhaust manifold,....

Is each fuel pump gettin' power,..?? makin' pressure,..??
Did ya inspect the Contents of the fuel filter for anything but clean fresh gasoline,..??

Back