Logo

1989 150 keeps burning up starter solenoids.....?

bsqared

this has been a great motor until this Spring when it unexpectedly wouldn't start in the middle of the river. since then I've replaced it 3 more times- everytime it starts 4 or 5 times then nothing happens. I've checked all the terminals and replaced a few loose ends. also added another ground wire in case there was an issue there someplace...... (I know nothing about electricity/wiring BTW)

any suggestions??? I have used up the solenoid supply at the local WestMarine..... I gotta stop replacing these stupid things!

thanks for any help

Bob

Nuetral switch in control box checked ?------------Have you opened one of these solenoids to see it it is burned up ?----Tested these " burned " solenoids off the motor ?

Dopey me burned one up a few weeks ago. The hot wire from the battery shifted as I was tightening the connection and made contact with the relay energizing post. Solenoid stayed engaged for several minutes (the OB connection wasn't connected) and it fried.

But that's just dopey me! Had several spares of course.

Jeff

I've needed to jump-start the motor on the water with a pair of needlenose pliers- if I bypass the solenoid the thing starts right up and runs fine. I also can't trim the motor up/down once it fails, since the trim is downstream of the starter solenoid

after I replace it, all is well for about 6 turns of then key..... then nuthin'

Still feel something is sucking the life out of your battery and frying the solenoid in the process. I suggest you disconnect the trim system and see if that is the culprit.

Jeff

It aint the solenoids....it a cable,battery connection,fuse holder on motor, ignition switch or neutral safety switch. The trim problem tells it a voltage issue on positive side of solenoid. Fuse holder bad you have no trim or starter a no voltage to key.

One more thing you can try (and it helped me locate a starting problem): When it starts to mess up on you, CAREFULLY feel every connection where a heavy wire (cable) goes. If you find any that are hot, that's a bad connection.

Jeff

One more thing you can try (and it helped me locate a starting problem): When it starts to mess up on you, CAREFULLY feel every connection where a heavy wire (cable) goes. If you find any that are hot, that's a bad connection.

Jeff

thanks for the input for everybody-

took it to an old-boat-guy who thought the (new) starter was installed at a funny angle- not sure thats gonna make a difference going tomorrow- will let ya know if it blows up again

Back