Logo

Chrysler 318/360 Marine Inboard Starter

JCosta

I just sold my boat :( and found a Chrysler 318/360 Marine Inboard Starter in the shed that I bought as a spare. I was wondering if anybody would be interested in it. I paid $250 :eek: and I'd like to get $150 for it, does that sound reasonable... its new old stock as they say. I would even ship it for free! I posted it in the classified section also.

HEAVY-DUTY
Part # 50109
Fits: Chrysler
318 /360 Marine V8

2 bolt mount, 1 threaded hole
12 Volt, CW rotation
5L55G45Q13Ee3M13H5c8v6be2a49efd761460.jpg

5L85Ie5N43I63L43Nfc8vcb00c3019dcc1694.jpg

This is certainly not what you'll want to hear, but IMO, it will be tuff to off an old style Bendix Drive starter motor these days when the HTGR/PMGR motors are about 2/3's the price, and will usually kick a$$ over the Bendix style, regarding cranking speeds.

I guess you're right I've never priced the HTGR/PMGR motors. Maybe someone will just make a reasonable offer. I hate to just let it sit and rust.

Daves69: Thanks for the info I'll give them a look.

Tahoerover: I know what your saying... My 360's ran for many years with the old starters. That's why I had this one left over in the shed... Maybe someone can use it.

JCosta and the rest of you....... let me clarify here if I may, and No offense to any of you who prefer or like the Bendix units.

There is nothing wrong, per 'se, with the quality of the Bendix style starter motors. They work as intended.
What I'm suggesting (or suggested), would be that if you are in need of replacing or re-building a Bendix drive starter motor, that in today's world I would simply replace a Bendix unit with a High Torque Gear Reduction/Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction unit.

The Bendix requires dang near full battery voltage in order to kick the drive gear into the flywheel.
The armature is large, and offers lots of power, but these are a 1:1 armature to pinion ratio.

Whereas the HTGR uses the solenoid lever action, and an approximate 3 X's armature speed with gear reduction to the pinion drive.
These will generally spin the engine over at a higher cranking RPM.
Some test results will even show a lessor required current draw for the HTGR units, of which means that they'll crank an engine over on a lower-than-normal battery bank.

If you are old enough to remember the autos and farm tractors that used a Bendix style starter motor, you'll know what I mean.

If your Bendix drive motor is working well, then that's great! :cool:

All the HTGR starters I have seen for for less than main stream applications are built on a cheap Chinese starter. They simply change out the gear and mounting block. There not a high quality starter and have a high rate of failure.

They all use the same gear drive and motor with a special gear drive and mounting plate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Speedwa...2661717?hash=item2ec15e0bd5&item=200812661717

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MGB-MGBGT-G..._Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_942wt_908

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-64-65...Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_1843wt_952

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIPPO-STYLE..._Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_969

Last edited:
Like I said... no offense intended to anyone who prefers the old 1930's style Bendix Drive starter motors. They do as intended.

You'd be hard pressed to find any engine manufacturer today who uses the Bendix style motor.... Auto or Marine.

This is one of the better direct engine mounted motors, IMO, and does not use a planetary gear reduction system.

xstarter.jpg

Likewise with this style.
$(KGrHqV,!iMF!)3Z-!kKBQPW(CMsyg~~60_3.JPG

Some of these do use a planetary reduction system that incorporates a nylon ring gear that can be problematic.
The tell tale signs are often no offset between the armature and pinion gear. You can, however, find these that use all steel gears.
images

But again, if you prefer the Bendix style, then I'd stay with it.

Last edited:
But we are not talking about a modern marine engine!!!! Chrysler Marine closed it's doors thirty years ago! Your recommendation to use Chinese crap is just wrong!

1. But we are not talking about a modern marine engine!!!!
  2. Chrysler Marine closed it's doors thirty years ago!
  3. Your recommendation to use Chinese crap is just wrong!

1. Actually, I'm presenting this for any year model engine (modern day or old day) that may have been OEM with a Bendix Drive starter motor, but lends itself to a HTGR replacement.

2. Moot point for this conversation! We're talking about replacement starter motors.... Bendix Drive -vs- a HTGR!

3. No where did I suggest Chinese. I dislike many of the Chinese products just as the next guy does.

The original conversation began between JCosta and myself, and was prefaced by "IMO" and also "No Offense to any of those who like the Bendix Drive motors".

For me, I find myself considering that there must be good reason that the I/B and I/O industry has been, and is still using the HTGR motors in lieu of the Bendix style. I'll also suggest that the Engineers have certainly given this some thought!

Like said multiple times now..... if you like the Bendix Drive starter motors, then I'd certainly stick with them. They are still available and perhaps will be for years. We can find a mix of them right along with the HTGR motors.

The original conversation began between JCosta and myself, and was prefaced by "IMO" and also "No Offense to any of those who like the Bendix Drive motors".

For me, I find myself considering that there must be good reason that the I/B and I/O industry has been, and is still using the HTGR motors in lieu of the Bendix style. I'll also suggest that the Engineers have certainly given this some thought!

Like said multiple times now..... if you like the Bendix Drive starter motors, then I'd certainly stick with them. They are still available and perhaps will be for years. We can find a mix of them right along with the HTGR motors.

Rick, Could you (or anyone else) recommend a source for an HTGR starter for my LM440? I'm hoping to see one under the tree later this month ;) Will the units offered for the M360 fit and work?

I'd like to upgrade from my Bendix drive unit for added dependability. Although my B-drive works, it is not always dependable for quick starts-key word "always.

Thanks, Noel.

Noel, try your local Marine Parts supplier. They'll know exactly what you want, if they are up to speed on this.

Otherwise, do a search for Inboard Starter Motors.
The key words will be: Chrysler Marine Inboard Starter Motor, HTGR (high torque gear reduction) or PMGR (permanent magnet gear reduction).

They will look similar to these. The armatures will be considerably smaller in diameter than that of the older Bendix or solenoid lever action of similar vintage.

This first one is Chrysler Marine.

images

41N4AB1N0kL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I might be interested if you still have starter. Regard,Frank

I just sold my boat :( and found a Chrysler 318/360 Marine Inboard Starter in the shed that I bought as a spare. I was wondering if anybody would be interested in it. I paid $250 :eek: and I'd like to get $150 for it, does that sound reasonable... its new old stock as they say. I would even ship it for free! I posted it in the classified section also.

HEAVY-DUTY
Part # 50109
318 /360 Marine V8

12 Volt, CW rotation
View attachment 5360

View attachment 5361

HEAVY-DUTY
Part # 50109
318 /360 Marine V8

12 Volt, CW rotation
View attachment 5360

View attachment 5361
Do you still have this part available for $150?

Reference post #19. 2 years ago, Gone

Yep..... old threads should be allowed to die a peaceful death!

America95, just an FYI........ I would not wish an old Bendix Drive starter motor on anyone!
Instead, look at the HTGR/PMGR motors.
These are much better units!

Yep..... old threads should be allowed to die a peaceful death!

America95, just an FYI........ I would not wish an old Bendix Drive starter motor on anyone!
Instead, look at the HTGR/PMGR motors.
These are much better units!

Not to bring an old thread back from the dead, but this is very much relevant.

My bendix starter finally decided to give up the ghost. Currently looking around for alternatives and see the new IMI units on ebay listed for Marine.

Since my engine is a standard rotation, the flywheel spins CCW from the rear. I would need a CW starter, but not sure if the starters are marked as per flywheel rotation or as per starter rotation.

I've already sent the seller an email asking for clarification, but is anyone on here using any of these units?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IMI-HIG...ash=item41c857b874:g:1owAAOSwvjdZSDUM&vxp=mtr

s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg

Thanks

The Engine rotation direction is very simple to determine. As said..... always view it as though from the flywheel end, and you won't make a mistake!

However, many become confused when it comes to starter motor rotation re; Inboard/Outboard -vs- In/Board.

Whether I/B or I/O, we'll see conventional automotive starter motor engine block mounting..... and we'll see AFT side Flywheel Cover mounting.

This should help!

The first image shows a REV RH Rotation engine with two styles of starter motor mounting.
Second image shows a STD LH Rotation engine
with the same two styles of starter motor mounting.

Attachments

• IB RH rotation   Starter options.jpg
    IB RH rotation Starter options.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IB LH rotation   Starter options.jpg
    IB LH rotation Starter options.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 116
Just got the new starter in today. It has an extra pin by the main cable post which is suppose to go to the starter solenoid. Where should I jump the cable to? Would it be to ignition 1 or 2 on the electronic ignition set up?

Thanks

Just got the new starter in today. It has an extra pin by the main cable post which is suppose to go to the starter solenoid. Where should I jump the cable to? Would it be to ignition 1 or 2 on the electronic ignition set up?

Thanks

I am not quite sure which post you are referring to.
It would be best if you were to post a photo of this. You don't want to make a mistake.

As a general rule for a Non-Bendix motor:
...... you should see an "S" terminal. The "S" terminal will excite the solenoid field of which will energize the armature and kick the pinion gear into the ring gear.
...... you
may also see an "R" or "I" terminal. If so, this will by-pass resisted ignition coil voltage.

Back