Logo

Wet Plugs

Hi Vic ad Racer one, thanks for the response it's wet with fuel and could not start it's a 25 hp and was wondering if any way to fix it? I got it running at home again by changing the plugs and spraying carbarator cleaner.

Hi Racerone, it's a 1988,25 hp evinrude long shaft.
Rope start or electric start? If you quote the full model number ( model number , not serial number) folk know exactly what you have!

It sounds as though it is flooding.

Maybe the carb float valve is not seating properly.

Maybe you are over priming if it's a rope start model with a manual primer pump

Maybe the electric primer valve is set incorrectly if it is an electric start model ( Red lever should be in in line with the solenoid)

Thank you Vic, it's a rope start and just got flooded and started it the next day with carb cleaner and cleaned the plugs. Was wondering if that's the right way to fix the problem or If there's a better cleaner?

Thank you Vic, it's a rope start and just got flooded and started it the next day with carb cleaner and cleaned the plugs. Was wondering if that's the right way to fix the problem or If there's a better cleaner?
Unless of course there is a problem with the carb float valve I suspect the long term solution is just getting to know how best to operate the choke/primer pump when starting.

If you do flood it return the choke to its normal running position and crank the motor at full throttle ( provided there is not a interlock to prevent that) until it shows signs of life. In extreme cases take the plugs out and crank it to clear the cylinders of excess fuel Clean and dry the plugs before refitting.

Okay Vics, sounds about right probley I over choked her, she started the other day and this morning I couldn't start her again I repeat the prosses of the plugs with the cleaner and gave up. What brand of plug do you recommend I should buy, I running the champion L77Jc4 right now or is that alright?

Hi Boobie, thanks for the response but I think t he compression is okay, didn't take a test tough but I think what Vic is saying is the cure about the choke. Went out today and tried not to over choke her.

Thank you Vic, the motor is okay I pull her twice without choking her and pulled the choke once and she started and didn't choke her all day after that, I do a lot of turning off the motor during the day and use to choke her while starting and that was the problem of the hard starting.

Okay Vics, sounds about right probley I over choked her, she started the other day and this morning I couldn't start her again I repeat the prosses of the plugs with the cleaner and gave up. What brand of plug do you recommend I should buy, I running the champion L77Jc4 right now or is that alright?
The preferred plugs are Champion QL77JC4 ( gapped at 0.030") but the "Q" only signifies inductive suppression. Your motor will be OK with L77JC4.

Thank you Vic, will try to go out on the water today and try to start her, when I try will I stay with the method or choke her once before starting and pulling it at full throttle?

Back