Logo

Switching motors

Land and sea

Switching motors
I want to change out my Chrysler 318 with a Chrysler 360 when did the bell housings change because mine is a 1973. How much newer engine can I put in before the bell housing changed

Flywheel Cover! (bellhousing in the auto world)

The Chrysler boys can verify this, but I'm thinking that the rear engine flange has been the same throughout the life of the 318 and 360!

I have switched my motor from a 318 to a 360. So far no problems but my old motor did not have a water pump. An this new one does. Do I still need the impeller that's mounted to the front of the motor to draw the water out from the lake. And do I connect it to the water pump on front of the block

Last edited:
I have switched my Engine from a 318 to a 360. So far no problems, but my old Engine did not have a water pump. An this new one does.
You should have two pumps......
one is an Engine coolant circulating pump, the other will be a seawater pump.
Which one are you asking about?

Do I still need the impeller pump that's mounted to the front of the Engine to draw the water out from the lake.
Unless this boat is equipped with a Jet Pump or a stern drive with a built-in seawater pump....... that would be the typical means of pulling seawater into the system for Engine cooling!

And do I connect it to the water pump on front of the block
The OEM pump that is mounted directly to the front of the Engine is the coolant circulating pump.
We need much more info and clarification from you!

Did your old motor have a dual-pocket, belt driven waterpump? If so, I don't think the circulation pump is necessary. The dual-pocket pump serves both purposes.

Back