Logo

Please Help Verify Bad Stator

Shawn070

Hey Ya'll,

I am having I heck of a time getting this motor to run right. Its a 1996 Mercury 40hp 4 cylinder. It runs good sometimes then sometimes it seems like it only running on 2 cylinders, then all of a sudden it will pick up and run like a cat kicked in the butt. I've pulled both carbs, thoroughly cleaned, and installed a new carb kit in them. Same problem. New Spark Plugs, same problem. New Ignition coils, same problem. I tested the stator today and here is what I got:
Red Wire to Red/White - 51.5
Blue wire to Blue/White- 0.00
Yellow wire to yellow- 1.3

I checked it multiple times and I got the same reading. I tested with the stator and flywheel still on the motor.

Could someone please help me verify this Stator is INDEED bad before I drop 400 bucks on a new one. The weird thing is this is not the OEM Stator the harness has a CDI Electronics tag on it, and the Voltage regulator is a CDI Electronics unit also. Doesn't mean it couldn't be bad I guess.

THANKS A TON in advance!

Purchase a dva peak voltage adapter for your DVOM so you can test your system.... Or if you have an old analog meter, they can read peak voltage.
DVA Adapter is on the way. This stator looks to be bad as the blue wires are reading 0. The stator is a CDI Electronics unit so according to the guide its bad. I'll keep testing further when the adapter gets here. Thank a ton for the replies.

This stator looks to be bad as the blue wires are reading 0
Cant be bad as this is low speed side of stator...…. if bad engine would not run at all or have any spark at cranking.

Cant be bad as this is low speed side of stator...…. if bad engine would not run at all or have any spark at cranking.

It does indeed run, fires right up, but doesn't run well at higher engine speeds, it cuts out won't push the boat very well and then all of a sudden it comes alive.

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with CDI Tech Support. I told him the readings I was getting from the stator (which is a CDI Electronics part) and he said the Stator is indeed bad and that the boat will run but not very well and will eventually burn out the switch box. Also this stator is the WRONG one for my engine it is a stator for a flywheel with BOLTED in magnets my Flywheel has glued in magnets. So the correct stator is on the way. I hope this finally sorts out this motor. Thank you ALL for the help.
WRONG one - 174-5454K1 - this is a stator for a Flywheel with BOLTED in magnets
CORRECT one - 174-9710K1 - This is a stator for a Flywheel with GLUED in magnets.
I hope this helps someone else in the future.

So to clarify, did Clark say that the wrong application would cause the stator to damage itself? Perhaps the s-box is already damaged.....might be prudent to replace both.

So to clarify, did Clark say that the wrong application would cause the stator to damage itself? Perhaps the s-box is already damaged.....might be prudent to replace both.
He didn't really clarify on that. All he said was that with the two Blue wires reading zero (when then should read 500-600) that it was indeed bad. And that it was the wrong stator for my motor. I installed the new one today the motor runs better than it ever has. I can't wait to go try it out.

Clark is not the brightest bulb in the string...he also blames all problems on the stator. Sean was the tech guy but he departed. If stator was bad motor would not have run as it would have had no output to pack, plus do you know how long it has ran with this stator? It reading 0 could have had low voltage but that would not make cylinder come and go as all 4 fire off same internal capacitor.

Last edited:
Clark is not the brightest bulb in the string...he also blames all problems on the stator. Sean was the tech guy but he departed. If stator was bad motor would not have run as it would have had no output to pack, plus do you know how long it has ran with this stator? It reading 0 could have had low voltage but that would not make cylinder come and go as all 4 fire off same internal capacitor.
It has been going on all winter. It happened out of the blue one day while out Crappie fishing. It will run like garbage then all of a sudden it will run good for a while. Before I put the stator on I ran through the troubleshooting guide and checked the trigger and it checked fine.

Back