Logo

v belt squealing

Fishmaster23

Regular Contributor
Been having a periodic squealing noise which seems to be coming from the belts, but it's hard to tell since I haven't been able to get someone out on my boat to drive it while I sit back there and listen. It seems to be between 2-3000rpm that I hear it and it seems like it only does it when I speed up. I tightened the belts and it still seems to do it. It's making me think maybe it's not the belts. This engine has nice smooth aluminum pulleys, so maybe they still are slipping a bit. Someone told me to spray brake cleaner on the pulleys to see if maybe their is some residual oil on the pulleys from assembly and being a new engine. I wonder if maybe since the idiots at the shop put sealed bearings in my volvo penta aq style borg warner pds assembly that the PDS shaft didn't get greased properly..... I would think it would be squealing all the time if that was the case even at idle.

Been having a periodic squealing noise which seems to be coming from the belts, but it's hard to tell since I haven't been able to get someone out on my boat to drive it while I sit back there and listen. It seems to be between 2-3000rpm that I hear it and it seems like it only does it when I speed up. I tightened the belts and it still seems to do it. It's making me think maybe it's not the belts.
** As a test, and while in Neutral, you could loosen or remove the belt, and for a short duration ONLY, increase engine RPM and see if the noise disappears.

This engine has nice smooth aluminum pulleys, so maybe they still are slipping a bit. Someone told me to spray brake cleaner on the pulleys to see if maybe their is some residual oil on the pulleys from assembly and being a new engine.
Chemicals may damage the belt material.

I wonder if maybe since the idiots at the shop put sealed bearings in my volvo penta aq style borg warner pds assembly that the PDS shaft didn't get greased properly..... I would think it would be squealing all the time if that was the case even at idle.
See above **.
If the squeal is still there, then it will not be the belt/pulleys.

Can I still add grease into the zerk fitting with sealed bearings?
Yes you certainly could! However, the new grease will not penetrated the bearing ball cage due to the seals blocking it.

This shop did you a disservice by installing two sealed bearings, and by NOT pre-filling the grease cavity with the use of OPEN bearings!

Well I can do it on the trailer at the ramp. Will the alternator being disconnected cause any issues? Will any set codes clear on their own? Cause I don't have a scanner for this fuel injected engine.

Well I can do it on the trailer at the ramp. Will the alternator being disconnected cause any issues? Will any set codes clear on their own? Cause I don't have a scanner for this fuel injected engine.

If an alternator is run while being electrically disconnected, you may damage the diodes.

I didn't mean unplugging it electrically. I just meant the ecm is going to see that it's not charging because the belt isn't turning the pulley.

I didn't mean unplugging it electrically. I just meant the ecm is going to see that it's not charging because the belt isn't turning the pulley.

I can't answer that question.

However, even if the ecm did recognize it..... aren't you actually trying to use the P of E (process of elimination) to find/locate the source of your squealing?
If the goal is to find the source of the squealing, and if the squealing stopped with the belt removed, would it make any difference to you if the ecm did give you a code?
In other words, which outweighs the other?

I called the guys I bought the engine from. They said squealing could be two things, either a belt and I've tightened them and it made no difference. Or it could be the anti siphon valve on the tank restricting flow to the pump. So since im sure it's the original, I'm going to change that out and see what happens.

vacuum leak maybe? any external noise can be pinpointed by using a mechanics stethoscope with the probe removed but the tube still attached. this will allow you to move the end of the tube around the engine while blocking out a lot of background noise, while any noise being made in the acute spot you place the end of the tube will be clearly heard.....

unlike an alternator that is spinning with no battery connected to absorb the power its creating, the system will not be damaged by removing the belt from the alternator so it doesnt spin while the engine runs with all the wires still attached to the alt.... this happens sometimes when people dont replace their belts and they fail while running...

dont spray the belts with anything as a permanent fix, because it WONT be... you can fine sand or scotchbrite the belt pulleys if you think they may be slipping, but also look for worn pulleys as pulleys do wear out, and then they will squeal a bit because the belt can no longer fit it properly, and it will only get worse..

if you suspect it IS the belts, DONT use the stethoscope tube, as the tube could catch in the belts. BUT...while the noise is being made, you can give the belts (one belt at a time) a quick shot of WD-40 to see if the squeal stops immediately, as the wd-40 will evaporate in a few minutes of running and leave the belts without any lasting issues from the wd-40...

some brake cleaners will damage some types of rubber, so dont use it on the belts... furthermore, spraying anything on the belts while it running in an attempt to clean them is a futile attempt, because it would take an unnecessary amount of cleaner sprayed on them to dissolve the contaminants and then throw it off and all making a mess around the engine compartment...

Looks like the fuel fittings the shop used are too small, so i'm addressing this right now and also replacing with new fuel line to replace the old stuff.

Someone told me to spray brake cleaner on the pulleys

Ayuh,..... This is why every one of my many toolboxes have a bar of Lava hand soap somewhere in 'em,......

Not only is it great to wash yer hands,.....
When carefully rubbed against a spinning belt, the pumice gives the belt new grip on the pulleys, 'n doesn't hurt the rubber,......

Okay got the fuel lines changed. I took the boat out and had someone drive while I listened. The noise is coming from the throttle body, so I don't know if it's just the engine sucking air through the air cleaner, and that's just perferctly normal? It does it beween 2200 and 2800rpm. It's more of a woosh sound, but it's way louder than any other noise the engine makes. Vacuum leak maybe?

Back