Logo

1999 150hp Johnson

fishfool

" Well Im having some type of

" Well Im having some type of problem with this motor,first i had about 35gal's of old gas pumped out,replaced with new gas,motor ran a little beter,plugs look good,carb's are clean,idels and starts off real well,then it starts to bog down,after getting the boat home i started checking and found that the primer solenoid lever was not opened all the way,could that be the cause off the problem ??????? If not what else should i check? oh the fuel filter is clean "

" The primer solenoid lever sh

" The primer solenoid lever should be "closed" all the way, facing straight towards the other end of the solenoid.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

" If the solenoid lever is clo

" If the solenoid lever is closed all the way,I wouldn't get gas to the carb's,in the Run position wouldn't that be opened all the way. Mine was not in the run position all the way,it was about 3/4 open to the run position.That is what im trying to find out,if that caused the boat to bog when the throttle was opened all the way's "

"No offense intended but you s

"No offense intended but you should obtain a service manual so that you understand the function of the engines components.

The "Primer Solenoid" should be looked upon as a choke solenoid. That RED lever is a manual release lever which when in the "Open" of "Semi Open" position allows fuel to flow directly through it to the intake manifold, which is the same as putting a choke butterfly in the closed position.

Having the RED lever facing directly to the other end of the primer solenoid closes the valve BUT by the same token puts the Primer Solenoid in the automatic position.

With that RED lever in the closed (automatic) position as above, the solenoid opens only when the ignition key is pushed in, allowing fuel to flow through it to prime the engine with fuel.

The cause of bogging (dying out) is usually caused by fouled carburetors or a sticking timer base (under the flywheel.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" Thanks Joe, that is more cle

" Thanks Joe, that is more clear now. I have been to so many sites looking for a service manual or repair manual for this motor,with no luck,can you leed me to one ? I have the maintenance manual that came with the boat. Its a 1999 Johnson 150hp ocean pro. Thanks again "

"FishFool.... Andrew can proba

"FishFool.... Andrew can probably set you up with a manual via this website. Click on the following if it's highlighted, or copy and paste it, should take you right to it. Have your model number handy.

http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/johnson/

Joe
"

Back