Logo

Lower unit

jamie

" I posted this message before

" I posted this message before and I was wondering if I'm going to keep breaking these one piece shafts. Are the two piece better if I run the boat in the flats and hit a sandbars every now and again.

I broke a drive shaft in a 84 Johnson 140 hp just under the water pump. I have a 94 Johnson 115 hp that has a 2 piece drive shaft vs. the single in the 84. Can I take the guts of the 94 115 hp lower unit (gears, drive shaft, prop shaft, ex.) and put them in the lower unit of the 84? I also have other options. Pay 300 bucks to get a rebuilded lower unit installed. Pay about 100 bucks for a used single piece drive shaft and do the work my self. Buy a new two piece drive shaft for 400 bucks and do the work my self?? Too many options. "

The two piece shaft allowed t

The two piece shaft allowed the manufacturer more flexibility on scheduling motor production.It was easier to switch from 20" shaft to 25" shaft with the two piece set up.There is nothing wrong with the shaft design. If you hit objects too often then you may have a bent (distorted) exhaust housing. This leads to the shaft flexing and failing from " metal fatigue"

Back