Logo

Honda BF 60 Fuel issues

Snoekkop

Contributing Member
Good day ,

im having an issue with fuel contamination on my outboards.

The vsts were removed ,cleaned, replaced HP fuel filter , after 12 hrs working time ,one outboard bogs down and doesnt want to rev past 3000 rpms.
Removed HP fuel filter and found it was black,cleaned it out with carb cleaner and found that the liquid coming out of the filter was black.
Removed VST again and found it was clean,no black deposits in the tank or the fuel.

What could be causing the filter to block up so quickly?

Checked all fuel hoses coming from fuel water separators to primer bulb and all hoses from primer bulb to the primary strainer on the outboard,they all fine and not disintigrating inside.

The fuel in the strainer and fuel water separator is clean ,as well as the fuel in the bowl of the vst.

Any ideas ,what could be causing the filter to block up so quick.

Tested the boat on the water and the outboard ran fine for 3 hrs and then back to doing the same. The other outboard was fine.

Please , any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Honestly its probably your hoses. You are only able to inspect the hose where you can pull it off and look at it, for example where it connects to the engine or the bulb or the tank and you can only see a couple inches down. Most of those parts of the hose are exposed to the male end of the connections, so they will appear to be fine. But back down the hose a bit where fuel sits, it is most likely degrading. I would replace all external fuel lines every 5 years if you leave it in the sun and run ethanol based fuels.

I changed the fuel lines from the tanks to outboards 2 months ago ,and installed new racor fuel water separators.

the only thing i didnt replace in regards to fuel delivery were the primer bulbs.

Do you think maybe it is possible that the brushes on the hp pumps are causing this, my thought is that on the discharge of the pump the powder from the brushes is blocking the filter,just a thought. My reasoning is based on the fact that the fuel in the bowl is clean ,so maybe the issue is after it leaves the pump.

What do you think?

I would agree with your logic, if the fuel is clean in the bowl, and its dirty after someplace after the bowl is your issue.

I changed the fuel lines from the tanks to outboards 2 months ago ,and installed new racor fuel water separators.

the only thing i didnt replace in regards to fuel delivery were the primer bulbs.

Do you think maybe it is possible that the brushes on the hp pumps are causing this, my thought is that on the discharge of the pump the powder from the brushes is blocking the filter,just a thought. My reasoning is based on the fact that the fuel in the bowl is clean ,so maybe the issue is after it leaves the pump.

What do you think?

I will check the output fuel from the pump by disconnecting the hp fuel line to the injector rail and see what the fuel looks like and come back to you with results.

Back