Logo

Fixed kill switch then when putting control box case halves together all signal to motor lost

Trentanious

Hi there, let me start by saying I’m not too familiar with this forum so I haven’t been able to find a similar problem via searches. I’m sure it’s happened before though!
Lost Spark on my ‘77 70hp and managed to chase it to a bad kill switch, or extremely crimped wires to the kill switch rather. I spliced in replacement wire for the crimped sections and bam! Worked like a charm. However, when I went to bundle everything back up and tuck it into the control box the ignition completely quit working. I noticed there were more severely crimped wires so my first thought was replacing those ought to the trick. Got everything replaced and still absolutely nothing.
Theres a more than fair chance I screwed up the wires even though I did them one at a time but now I’m wondering where to start diagnosing what to do next?

would restart with proper wiring diagram, have it all laid out and visible. i had to check over all connections recently, one black wire came out of blade connector slightly. pushed it in and fixed my issue

Check the fuse on the motor.
Yup! That was the culprit! However, got everything all bundled back up and the case back together. Took it out for a little bit and she was running great! Then on my way back to the dock lost spark again.
Disconnected the kill switch wire from the powerpack and still no spark this time. Everything seems to have a really solid connection motor side. I can’t see any visible disconnects or crimps anywhere.
From the reading I’ve done so far it’s starting to feel like it might be the powerpack itself. I’m not entirely sure how to diagnose just the box.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Disconnect the Black/Yellow wire (kill circuit) from the powerpack. If you now have spark, that wire is shorted to ground somewhere.

If still no spark... usually a failed powerpack.

If a suspected pack failure.... have a voltmeter set so that it would read even a micro-volt and check that Black/Yellow wire for voltage when the key is ON, if even a micro-volt is detected, either that wire is shorted to a voltage source OR the ignition switch has shorted out and will require replacing.

Back