Logo

cankshaft sensor fault code troubleshooting Indmar 388 hammerhead 2007

rfinkel

This forum was great when I had an 88 volvo penta.
Last year I bought a 1997 malibu with the Indmar 383 Hammerhead engine. I runs fine till about 3500 RPM them hesitates or misfires, won't accelerate and the check engine light comes on.
My marine mechanic replaced the plugs, distributor cap and rotor while waiting for the engine diagnostic scanner with no change in peeformance. When he finally got a scanner it indicated a "crankshaft sensor fault" he then ordered and changed the sensor with no change in the performance and the same fault code comes up.
The mechanic spoke to Indmar who said that the next step would be to pull the engine and check the Reluctor ring.
Before i have the huge expense of pulling and opening up the engine, are there any other ways to check if this is indeed is a Relutor ring problem or other component failure that is related to misfiring/hesitation???
The boat continues to start easily and run fine at lower RPMs/ speeds. I have not missed a day on the water this summer and have put on about 100 hrs pulling wakeboarders and towables without a problem as long as the RPMs are maintained below 3000-3500.

Thanks

so the engine has a MEFI-4 ECU? Just an observation but I'd be inclined to get another mechanic based on your third sentence as that one's troubleshooting skills are lacking (though his business strategy appears optimized to fatten his cash flow)....

Was code 81 (DTC) set??

so the engine has a MEFI-4 ECU? Just an observation but I'd be inclined to get another mechanic based on your third sentence as that one's troubleshooting skills are lacking (though his business strategy appears optimized to fatten his cash flow)....

Was code 81 (DTC) set??

What do you mean by "was code 81 (DTC) set"??
thanks

Back