Logo

95 evinrude problem

J

John E

" runs great at low idle and m

" runs great at low idle and middle,but when l get to the peak it seems like the carb is not opening all the way,don't have anymore throttle left "

"John.... If your compression

"John.... If your compression is in the area of 60/70 pounds or so and even, and the ignition (spark) will jump a 1/4" gap from both s/plug terminals with a blue flame, I would lean in the direction of carburetor problems, especially if the engine has been sitting for any length of time. At the extreme bottom of the carburetor, in back of that 7/16" hex screw, there's a brass fixed high speed jet which may have become somewhat clogged. That will restrict the fuel flow and of course affect the high speed.

Has this problem slowly creeped into the engine, or is it one that has appeared suddenly?

Joe
"

" I have this same problem wit

" I have this same problem with a 1978 9.9 evinrude I recently bought, is there any chance of exhaust build up causing a "Banana in the tail pipe" type effect. We do a lot of low speed trolling. It seems as though something is holding the engine back. It also seems to want to get over the hump so to speak and take off. Any help would be appreciated. My father in law had similar experience few years ago with 9.9 merc. after cleaning exhaust out and installing thermostat it has ran well eversince "

Back