Logo

is this water in my gear oil?

willalot

Hi I drained my gear oil a week ago after a day on the lake (it was previously changed before storage) and it had a murky look to it. I put in this mason jar for 5 days and its been settling. Look like water to you guys?
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20210505_124719.jpg
    IMG_20210505_124719.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210505_124707.jpg
    IMG_20210505_124707.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 23
He only has decades of experience and is just guessing and likes wasting his time giving people free professional advice....

I can't tell anything by those pictures.
Gear lube floats on top of water. When you open the drain plug on the lower unit, if there is water in the lube, it will come out first (usually pretty clear and easy to see what it is), followed by the lube. If it's just been a few minutes since you've run it, it may appear milky, something like the color of coffee with a lot of cream in it.

When I've had a little water in the gear lube it comes out like coffee with heavy cream if theirs a lot of water it will drain straight water initially then a mixture of oil / water. That probably is water, you could drain it re fill then run it and re check it. If you take it to a pro they can pressure test the gearcase for you, save you some time diagnosing.

yeah thanks I am just going to have it pressure tested for peace of mind. From what I have read its far better to just fix it properly over damaging your gear box in the long run. thanks

Back