Logo

Compression too low on my 8HP Johnson

J

JimF

" Someone else was using my &#

" Someone else was using my '92 8HP engine and gave it back to me when it wouldn't start. The paint on the cylinder head is all discolored and a couple of the plastic parts near the cylinder head actually melted. I checked the water pump and it looks fine. No restriction when I shoot the hose up the water tube.

Compression measures 85psi on the top and 87 on the bottom and I still have spark. When I removed the cylinder heads everything looks fine, no scrapes and the piston heads look fine. The lower cylinder felt like it had some oil on it, the upper one seemed awfully dry.

I can guess at two causes. Either not enough oil in the gas or a plastic bag or something blocked the intake. What do you think and is there any hope for an engine with that compression? How big a job is it to replace piston rings and would that bring the compression back up over 100?

Thanks,

Jim "

"Jim.... The engine was overhe

"Jim.... The engine was overheated bad, no question there. If there was no scoring of the cylinder walls or pistons, and it sounds like there was none, I wouldn't be concerned about doing a overhaul of the engine.

Make sure the water pump is perfect, install a new head gasket, tighten (torque) the head bolts, starting from the center and working out in an ever widening circle.

I suspect the compression will return once the lubricating system returns to normal. Let us know what you find.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" Hi Joe -

Thanks, I picked

" Hi Joe -

Thanks, I picked up a head gasket and water pump yesterday. I am waiting for the throttle lever, that had to be ordered. I'll let you know soon how it all turns out. At $1,600 for a new engine, I was going to give mine another chance, thanks for letting me know there is hope.

Jim "

Back