Logo

2006 5.7 MPI runs out of fuel after 15 min

Darrrendorris

I have a set of 2006 5.7l MPI capt choice crusaders. they run like champs at all rpm's, BUT my starboard engine will run the fuel bowl dry at idle after about 15 min. I have changed all hoses, filters, and multiple fuel pumps and STILL have this problem. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY no idea what to do next?
anyone else have this issue and know the fix?

Fuel bowl....or filter runs dry?

Assuming each engine has its own tank, I'd suggest checking the vent line and the anti-syphon valve for clogging....also, make sure any valves are fully opened...

Fuel bowl....or filter runs dry?

Assuming each engine has its own tank, I'd suggest checking the vent line and the anti-syphon valve for clogging....also, make sure any valves are fully opened...

it is a shared tank with its own pick up. the fuel/water separator is remains full ( upstream of the low pressure pump) but the fuel bowl is empty, I have replaced all fuel lines from the separator to low pressure pump, I have replaced the vent as well as a matter of course. I have also replaced the fuel pump relays as well hoping it was that. again it runs fine at higher RPMS there are no shut off valves for those lines they are direct to the tank

Do you have the FCC setup or the returnless setup?

I'm guessing you have NOT changed the high pressure pump?

on the returnless systems, if you get fuel to the water separator filter, only the high pressure switch is between it and the fuel rail....

The pic of the parts page you've post is for the 2007 model years....from its reference number....and this is where it gets tricky.

for some of these engines, you will need the model number and the serial number to make sure you get to the correct diagram.

Going on what you posted, assuming that is the correct diagram, if you get fuel into the canister and no fuel out, the high pressure pump isn't working...or its being starved by a clogged filter inside the canister....

The pic of the parts page you've post is for the 2007 model years....from its reference number....and this is where it gets tricky.

for some of these engines, you will need the model number and the serial number to make sure you get to the correct diagram.

Going on what you posted, assuming that is the correct diagram, if you get fuel into the canister and no fuel out, the high pressure pump isn't working...or its being starved by a clogged filter inside the canister....

I agree it is a 2007 partsmanual, but it matches the engines and serial numbers. The bowl is bone dry (sometimes even a vacuum when it runs out of fuel. I can get it restarted by dropping the bowl and cycling the key and fuel will flow from the low pressure pump and fill the bowl, then it will run fine for hours at cruising rpm, then when at idle it will run out of fuel in the bowl again

ok....if the bowl is dry and has a vacuum, thats suggesting the low pressure pump isn't filling it and the high pressure pump is trying to work....

Have you changed the fuel pump relay? I'd suggest connecting a voltmeter at the pump connections and see what's going on there - could be a bad connection that works cold but degraded with operation (heat) or a marginal ground...

ok....if the bowl is dry and has a vacuum, thats suggesting the low pressure pump isn't filling it and the high pressure pump is trying to work....

Have you changed the fuel pump relay? I'd suggest connecting a voltmeter at the pump connections and see what's going on there - could be a bad connection that works cold but degraded with operation (heat) or a marginal ground...

Yes I thought that as well it may be the fuel pump relay, I replaced it and the issue still exists.

I think Terminal C on the diagnostic connector is the 'switched' fuel pump wire....it may be easier to check there than at the terminals....just another option.

I never saw any response on the anti-syphon valves....??

Another option, for troubleshooting, is to run the engine off an outboard can.....you need to take the appropriate safety measures...that will tell you if the root of the issue is on the suction side....

Back