Logo

Raw Water Pump repair question

sandkicker

Outstanding Contributor
Picked up a kit (46-807151-A14) for my 5.7MIE engine... I noticed that the kit includes a double lip O ring (H seal) that I am at a loss to find a place for.
It is the same OD as the larger diameter (outer) of the seal on the inner side of the shaft seal, however, the existing shaft seal is a cup seal with a spring backer for the shaft side...
A more complex seal than the O ring provided. BTW.. this is for a one piece housing pump. What is this "O ring" for?... There seems to be no indication of a different style housing or pump that it may fit.

Last edited:
OK so we ALL know what that part number represents and what the parts are inside it..................

How about you take some pics of all the parts, point to the one in question and post it so we can see what ever it is you are refering to looks like.......

MIE stands for Mercruiser inboard engine. SO I ASS U ME you have a inboard? correct???

Geeezzzeee.....

Ahhh.... all is clear now! Thanx!!! My problem was that the previous quad ring had totally disintegrated and left the mating recess in the surface of impeller a total mess with no clue to its ever having been there. My primary computer is down and I could not get to my copy of the 5.7 engine manual, so thanks for section 6. Fortunately, the pump failed as I was starting the engine (serpentine belt slipped) and I was able to find all the pieces of the impeller (except for the quad ring) still in the pump housing.

My other annoyance was that the factory apparently over torqued the blue drain plug and it slapped off when the back of my hand brushed up against it to get a wrench on the pump bracket mounting bolts (before I even got the wrench on the bolt!). Very annoying... played "dutch boy" until my wife brought a can to drain all the anti freeze out. Engine was bought and installed new with a FWC kit, so the coolant has never been drained. This engine has had a string of annoying factory QC problems (gasket under carb installed incorrectly, metal chip in the idle mixture passage and over torqued clamp bolt on the disty) ever since I got it. I guess they built it on a Monday :-(

...and Yes, MIE as in Mercruiser Inboard Engine... A bit different since as my signature notes, it's in front of a Volvo 280 drive. Most Chris Craft I/O Lancers use a bobtailed I/B engine driving the sterndrive thru a long(relatively) intermediate housing that is drilled for standard I/B tranny bolt pattern.

OK... a complication. The old housing had a molded in raised ring at the back (furthest from pulley) that appears as if it would retain the quad ring.

My new housing is absolutely smooth with no raised feature (or grove) to retain the quadring and the impeller's end is flat. If I install the quadring between the impeller and the pump housing, what is going to keep it in place?

I think the 'large' quad ring seals the bearing housing to the one-piece pump body. There is no seal (or need for a seal) on the 'back' of the impeller on the one-piece pumps.

There is a 'small' quad ring used on the 'older' pumps that fits on the pump side of the bearing housing, between the housing and the wear plate but ain't sure which one you have.

There is always the chance that Merc was being generous and added and 'extra' part that you don't need for your application. It has happened on many occasions.

There is a 'small' quad ring used on the 'older' pumps that fits on the pump side of the bearing housing, between the housing and the wear plate but ain't sure which one you have.
There is always the chance that Merc was being generous and added and 'extra' part that you don't need for your application. It has happened on many occasions.

The pump is a circa 2005 engine and I got the whole impeller kit. I don't see any place between the housing and wear plate that the provided ring would seal... That said, if earlier pump drive assemblies had a quad seal between the wear plate and drive housing then, that would be the correct seal. This drive assemble uses a "cup" seal... Sooo, I guess that in my application It's an unnecessary part. I just HATE extra parts, so pardon my figits. Thanks for your insight. Hopefully, I'll have the time to get this back together this weekend...

S/N OW3956xx
Sorry, But with that number All I get is Serial Number not found. Please try again.;)

So I will take guess that this link below is your parts for your engine with the numbers you posted.

If you have a extra O'ring, then it may be number 6 in this link, If not then it sounds like it's going to be an extra O'Ring for another style pump, and not needed like stated above by makomark.:)
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...=11666&bnbr=190&bdesc=Sea+Water+Pump+Assembly

Sorry its 0W, as in zero W... last two digits should be irrelevant..

My pump has a "cup" style seal where "9" is and no place to retain "6" or "2" for that matter. The part of the seal that is on the shaft has a spring in it, the part of the seal that seats to the shaft housing has a lip with dual grooves, with a "U" shape between these two sections ( shaft and housing).

Back