Logo

Mariner b86 steering problem

G

Gary Prestridge

" I have a Mariner '86, 20

" I have a Mariner '86, 20 hp and regardless of how you set the trim tab, you must pull hard toward you to keep it going straight. Has anyone seen this before and is there anything I can do? I have adjusted the tension on the steering as tight as it needs to be and this is still a problem.
Thank You "

"Gary,

The flywheel is turn

"Gary,

The flywheel is turning in a clockwise direction, so the engine wants to turn in the opposite direction. If you could tighten the tension enough to negate this effect it would be difficult to steer the boat at all.

"

"Gary.... Althought the Marine

"Gary.... Althought the Mariner engine is not my line of expertise, the trim tab adjustment, if it has one, must be moved in the direction of the pulling. Such as, if the rig is torquing/pulling to the right, the trim tab must be moved to the right. I am assuming that the engine is mounted properly on center.

Joe
"

" I have a 96 Mariner 4 cyl,40

" I have a 96 Mariner 4 cyl,40 HP,manual start...I want to convert to electric start...Can this be done? I know that I would need the starter,solenoid,flywheel with ring gear and wiring...The starter brackets are in place...thanks Leo "

Back