Logo

Water Separator Thoughts???

John Haggerty

Contributing Member
1989 70hp Johnson

I had a problem with what was a good running motor. I was planning on removing my fuel tank to do some work in the bilge area. I ran the tank to about 1/4 full. I never got to remove it before running it again. The boat sat for about 3 weeks and during that time we had hurricane Irma and lots of damp humid weather during the 3 weeks it sat. I topped of the tank and took it out. Motor fired right up as normal. Idled fine and it ran for about 10 minutes at 3500 rpm with no issues. Then it bogged down and died. Re-started but continued to have running issues for hours. Some of the sounds I heard during the problem time were scary. Eventually I got it running good and got it home.

Normally I always fill that fuel tank before putting it away. I'm thinking maybe I should add a water separator to prevent a similar issue. I know filling the tank should have prevented this, but I still thinking separator. I also know all about "leaving good alone".

Thanks,
John

So, what makes you think it was a water problem? (Not saying it wasn't--who knows).

A water separator can remove a small amount of water, but it can be overwhelmed by a large amount of water, such as a contaminated fillup from the gas station's tanks.

Why water problem? Not sure but I'm asking myself what was different after the motor was running fine last trip out. The difference that I came up with was not filling the fuel tank before putting it away. So I'm thinking fuel issue. I live in Florida where we get daily rain, high humidity and in this case a hurricane with 6+ inches of rain and high winds. Maybe water entry thru the vent in addition to condensation inside the tank.

I'm going to change the in-line fuel filter and maybe add a water separator with visible bottom.

Yeah, I live in Florida too, and know all about that daily rain and humidity. But I've never experienced that amount of condensation in fuel tanks.

I added a water separator with clear bottom. Hopefully I don't regret it.

I'm going to attribute my problem to hurricane Irma as I suspect the fueling station was under water and my purchase was made just after the storm.

I'll see.

Thanks,
John

I added a water separator with clear bottom. Hopefully I don't regret it. I'm going to attribute my problem to hurricane Irma as I suspect the fueling station was under water and my purchase was made just after the storm. I'll see. Thanks, John

Smart move! Don't know why you think you might regret it.... Having a rig without a good one is ******** the way storms pop up in our neck of the woods (Tampa area).

Smart move! Don't know why you think you might regret it.... Having a rig without a good one is ******** the way storms pop up in our neck of the woods (Tampa area).

I'm sure that starred out area was NOT a bad, cuss, or in general a fouled up word... can't imagine what I could have said to encounter that.

Back