Logo

40 HP Evinrude, 1990, Model VE40TLESR, battery charging system not working adequately

Ernie84

I changed the voltage rectifier on this engine already, but I still only get about 12 VDC (measured across the battery leads) when running the motor at any RPM with the navigation lights on, which eventually drains the battery. I get up to 13 VDC with the lights off.
What is the next thing to look at?
Is it the stator assembly, and if so what voltage should I be getting out of it where it connects to the rectifier?
I am told the stator produces an AC voltage.

I changed the voltage rectifier on this engine already, but I still only get about 12 VDC (measured across the battery leads) when running the motor at any RPM with the navigation lights on, which eventually drains the battery. I get up to 13 VDC with the lights off.
What is the next thing to look at?
Is it the stator assembly, and if so what voltage should I be getting out of it where it connects to the rectifier?
I am told the stator produces an AC voltage.
Boat wiring.
Ac volts is correct.
This system only produces five amps at full throttle,
Check boat wiring,condition of battery

If your setup incorporates a tachometer... and the tachometer is functioning properly, the charging system is okay.

And if the charging system is okay, then as RwButler insinuates, I'd suspect a failing battery.

You only get out of a battery what you put in the battery. So how many amps are you pulling out of the battery? I haven't looked the model number up, but does it have power trim?

Is your 12VDC an accurate measurement? That's low for a fully charged battery.

Considered changing the light bulbs to LED?

Back