Logo

J15R4STC 2003 Johnson 15HP

harrygant

What do you use to seal the crankcase together? It does not show a gasket. Also torque spec on the head bolts.60-80 inch pounds? Torque on the crankshaft journals? Also how do you set up the timing on this 4-stroke motor?

Attachments

• crankcase.jpg
    crankcase.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 15
I can't help you with the specs but I'm sure another member will jump in here to help you out with that.

As far as the Crankcase Sealer..........
The exception of surface to surface contacts pertains to the later model matching crankcase (block) halves (which does not incorporate spaghetti tubing) which call for "Gel-Seal", or any other surface that calls for Gel-Seal. This substance seals in the absence of air, and if called for, must be used. One other form of Gel Seal that can be substituted is "Loc-Tite #518". Nothing else that I know of will do! However, I retired in 1991 so there may be something new.

Joe, good answers.....did YOU ever use an inch pound torque wrench?

Yes I have Tim... Don't really remember on what though. Most likely the very small hp model head bolts whereas one foot pound or so too much could lead to trouble.

I spent a day at a clinic .-----All about torking.-----Presenter asked experienced mechanics to torque some bolts.-----Then checked these with torque wrench.----The results indicated that most were wrong !-----Have been involved with torque methods from using ultra-sonic sound , hydraulic pressure , length measurement , turning a calculated number of degrees after initial torque.-----Not sure why you would not invest in a simple wrench here.

This 2003 model is a SUZUKI built machine and rebranded as a Johnson.-----In earlier OMC small 4 strokes ( not Suzuki built ) the manual calls for ---GEL SEAL II---- as the sealer.

Back