Logo

Am I mad 1977 johnson outboard 75hp

ian

" I have just bought a scorpio

" I have just bought a scorpio 16ft speedboat 1977 i think with a johnson outboard 75hp. The motor has not been operational for over 10 years and will need a total rebuild. Fortunately it comes with comprehensive manual, but what are the main pitfalls i will come across when stripping it down so that i don't mess it up completely?

thanks

ian valentine "

" Ian.... The pitfalls are too

" Ian.... The pitfalls are too numerous to mention, however, when cleaning the areas where the two halves of the crankcase join together, use caution and DO NOT use a file! Those areas are a machined fit! In fact, DO NOT use a file on any surface! The connecting rod bearings have 18 needles each inserted into cages. Be absolutely sure that you do not accidently have one fall out when inserting them. Be sure to apply the proper torque to: the con rod bolts, the main brg bolts, the head bolts, and the flywheel nut. The rest of the P/H bolts aren't that critical but use caution.. don't strip any! You didn't say why the engine requires rebuilding, but if it is indeed a "blown" powerhead, keep in mind that powerheads DO NOT blow by themselves... something caused it. It may have been due to a faulty ignition component, no oil or improper oil/fuel mixture, etc. If whatever caused the failure isn't corrected, the powerhead will "blow" again. One area is certain, and that is... after sitting for ten (10) years, the carburetors will require a complete teardown, a thorough cleaning, and rebuilding. The carbs have fixed jets and will be clogged/restricted which would result in a lean mixture that would cause pistons, bearings, etc to destruct. (Joe - 30+ years with OMC) "

Back