HOW TO GET MOTOR DOWN WHEN TRIM DOESNbT WORK

• Thread starter MORGAN SMALLWOOD
  • Start date
M

MORGAN SMALLWOOD

1988 JOHNSON 140 HP HOW DO YO

1988 JOHNSON 140 HP HOW DO YOU GET THE MOTOR DOWN

there is a plug on the bottom

there is a plug on the bottom of the hydraulic piston take out the plug and all the pressure that is holding the motor up will be relesed so the motor will fall down or if the piston is frozen you will have to replace it . note taking the plug out of the system will allow water to enter into the system it WILL ruin it so maybe you should just fix it

" there is a manual release va

" there is a manual release valve on the side of the trim unit. It is on the stbd side clamp bracket at the bottom, has a slotted head "

" Darren is correct, but I wil

" Darren is correct, but I will elaborate. Only open the screw a couple of turns as it is kept in place with a snap ring. Also the engine will not go to the fully down position, but only as low as the full "trim" position where the two small rams just touch the swivel housing.
Tom "

" Morgan..... I'm curious.

" Morgan..... I'm curious. What type problem did you encounter? The electric motor would not operate in the down mode, or the electric motor did operate but the engine did not move? Or did you encounter something altogether different? BTW, Darren & Tom are right on target. (Joe - 30+ years with OMC) "

" power trim would go up not d

" power trim would go up not down, so motor is in the up position all the way the motor looks bad had the first motor replaced under warranty the outboard motor is 1988
thanks for the information

ms "

" Morgan..... The 1988 and man

" Morgan..... The 1988 and many earlier models used a two wire electric motor to power the PTT. If it operated in even just one direction, the electric motor is okay. That electric motor would use positive polarity via one of two relays to go in one direction, and reverse polarity via those same relays to go in the opposite direction. If the electric motor refuses to operate in just one of two directions, it's usually a problem with one of the relays. Hope this saves you some money and work. (Joe - 30+ years with OMC) "

Back