Logo

New in box optimax 115exlpto 2007? What should I do??

surfnfisher

Contributing Member
I have the opportunity to buy a brand new optimax 115 exlpto
in the crate. Been sitting since new. I feel it’s a good deal at 4k
But I am a little worried.
Should I be ??
Thanks for your input

Tell us more.----Local dealer ?---Found this deal via the internet and overseas ??------Careful before you spend your coins.

Do you know the origin of this engine? Where was it kept, dehumidified warehouse? Any way to validate the serial number? Since it's never been registered by a dealer or owner does it still have a warranty? A buddy of mine bought a pair of 250 Evinrudes in the boxes about 10 years old not in a dehumidified warehouse and one of them was rusted internally and the other one was perfect so still a crap shoot. These were in south Florida so a different animal if stored in a dryer climate. Price seems very good though.

It’s an online auction. Reputable seller. Been in a warehouse in Washington state. Unopened box/crate. I could use the engine. Box is in really good shape, as if that matters.
IT will need prop, gauges control.

I’m not worried about the seller. I am more worried about a 13 year old engine that has been sitting in a box. I may be able to get them to open the box and cowling if possible to check for corrosion.
A new motor would be awesome.

I’m not worried about the seller. I am more worried about a 13 year old engine that has been sitting in a box. I may be able to get them to open the box and cowling if possible to check for corrosion.
A new motor would be awesome.

What are you worried about? The sitting? If it is factory new it is well lubed. It will be fine.....

FYI..... if you go to Foley Caterpillar and purchase a 3208 they will give you a new engine that has not been touched since the 1980's

Had a call 5 years ago about a 2007 / 08 model.----Asked if I wanted to rebuild it.----I said no.------Owner mentioned that he could not find a shop that seemed interested in rebuilding it

Had a call 5 years ago about a 2007 / 08 model.----Asked if I wanted to rebuild it.----I said no.------Owner mentioned that he could not find a shop that seemed interested in rebuilding it

Is that the case with most direct injected engines? Are they a throw away? The bass guys love the optimax's

Well------A shop has to guarantee the work.------Therefor they must determine what caused the issue or the motor comes to a " dynamic halt " again.-----Replacing sensors / ECU / oil pump puts this into a " why not buy a new one " territory.-----Fixing it yourself would be the option.

Ok, now what's that mean?? Nothing like a Debbie-Downer to pop someone's balloon. I thought this was a bitchin' motor?

Welcome to the condescending know it all club who some love to prove their superior knowledge and dangle a solution as long as you pay homage to their wisdom and ego. That's why they drop the one liners. Find another site that will help you with setting up this engine without strings attached.

The 06/07 a lot of electrical issues(genie),fouling problems and making oil. Saw this in the several dealer I subcontracted to.

Welcome to the condescending know it all club who some love to prove their superior knowledge and dangle a solution as long as you pay homage to their wisdom and ego. That's why they drop the one liners. Find another site that will help you with setting up this engine without strings attached.

10 x's on that.

Nobody is begging you to stay here.

Nobody is begging you to stay here

The last thing I would do is leave here in spite of you. In fact, I am very happy to stay here and savor your pontification and listen to your wisdom. Go join johnsoldmercurysite and see how long you last.[/QU
I wonder how long you would last if all you do is insult the contributors? Maybe that's why you are here and not there? Just something to pontificate about.

Last edited:
Actually, I'm a proud paying member of that website for the last 7 years and have a huge amount of respect for everyone on the site who speaks from years of experience and are always willing to help without "winning" the conversation. You are a contributor for sure with lots of knowledge and experience. I'm here because I like to hear about newer engine dialog even though it adds no value to my immediate needs. It's just about learning. As contributors to this website, your duty is to avoid setting a **** trail to someone who is looking for real advice about the purchase of this 2007 engine and leading a value driven discussion to lead, guide and direct because you have earned the responsibility.

Actually, I'm a proud paying member of that website for the last 7 years and have a huge amount of respect for everyone on the site who speaks from years of experience and are always willing to help without "winning" the conversation. You are a contributor for sure with lots of knowledge and experience. I'm here because I like to hear about newer engine dialog even though it adds no value to my immediate needs. It's just about learning. As contributors to this website, your duty is to avoid setting a **** trail to someone who is looking for real advice about the purchase of this 2007 engine and leading a value driven discussion to lead, guide and direct because you have earned the responsibility.
This website is free nobody gets paid. Contributors here give up their knowledge and time for no compensation whatsoever. But hey feel free to insult people who are giving you free stuff.

Chris, Racer, and Mr. Scott are all excellent mechanics and techs....they have their own unique personalities. I learn from them myself....and we have had some "run ins". I am also a seasoned repairman with broad knowledge. Personalities conflict, but in writing or dictating answers, advice, or comments.....we should show at least a reasonable amount of consideration to those that contribute their unselfish time to help others.....with little reward other than a self "pat on the back". I hung back in the weeds on this one....giggle with Pappy and his "genie".....Joe Reeves with his "gremlins", (not connected to this thread), you guys are all dynamite. Your my mentors. Maybe not always teaching me about motors, boats, respect, .....but teaching me to excercise humility.......maybe not always from "example".....but perhaps from the lack of it.

Last edited:
I too, learn from them. That is why I'm on this site from time to time. I apologize if I insulted anyone, I just felt like I needed to make a point. So back to business.
Timeguy, I did want to let you and others know with the synthetic 50-1 Stihl fuel, the label about shelf life did not distinguish between opened or unopened being 2 years. Pricey for sure, but if you need reliable fuel when you're out in the sticks, maybe worth having a gallon or two.

Yeah....I see it at the dealer where I go for parts/chains....bought a couple saws there too. I get 10 percent discount there from Scott. Gonna try some next time. Stihl is my preference for saws, but also like and use Olympic, Pro Homelite (xl 725), Johnsered, and Huskvarna. Partner has a couple good models as well as Poulan. Some good Japanese saws too Echo is a helluva saw.....also the old Shindawa.
I've worked on the Optimax, my opinion.....if it matters.....is that it's a decent motor, but "overengineered", but basically EVERYTHING is today. I'd much rather have a new 72 in a box, than a 2007.

Back