Logo

Out Drive Compatapility

Davek

First off since I am new to the forum, hi to everyone.

I am trying to find some information a a couple of out drives. I have a 1988 Four Winns 160 Freedom, with an OMC 4cyl 3.0 It came with an OMC out drive model number 985268. When I got the boat the out drive was removed, and in need of replacement. The gears in the upper drive were cooked. It looked like someone ran it without oil in it. I have since gotten my hands on an out drive off an OMC 4cyl 2.3. This engine had an OMC out drive model # 985683. What I need to know is if I can just swap the out drive on the existing bell housings? Or are the upper gears the same? Do I need to swap just the gears and rebuild the original drive, or is it not at all compatible and do I need to start over? Any help that you can offer would be appreciated.

Also I have heard that some OMC and Volvo is compatible. I also have a complete AG131A with a 275 out drive on it. Any possibility that the upper gears on that out drive would be a replacement candidate?

Thanks,

Dave

First off since I am new to the forum, hi to everyone.

1....... Also I have heard that some OMC and Volvo is compatible.
2....... I also have a complete AG131A with a 275 out drive on it. Any possibility that the upper gears on that out drive would be a replacement candidate?
Dave
1.... Apples/Oranges!
Volvo Penta purchased OMC in 1993. The only OMC design that was incorporated, would be the transom housing Gimbal affair and style of power trim/tilt system.
Other than that..... she's all Volvo Penta using Cone Clutch style gear engagement, and engine mounted sea water pump.

2..... While this is actually a more bullet proof drive, the answer is NO. Again... Apples/Oranges.

Now... the Volvo SX and/or DP-S is a suitable replacement, but requires a conversion kit to allow the fit to the Gimbal Bell, and a modification to the cylinders.
This will also allow for complete abandonment of the OMC ESA system.

If I was missing a complete OMC Cobra drive, the Volvo Penta and kit would be my first choice.
No more Dog Clutch.... no more ESA issues. :cool:
Resale would be improved as well.

Or are the upper gears the same? Do I need to swap just the gears and rebuild the original drive, or is it not at all compatible and do I need to start over? Any help that you can offer would be appreciated.

2.3 used a different upper gear ratio than used in the 3.0, but it's worth a try. You'll probably need a higher pitch prop than the original drive used due to the different gears. I would go up 4 inches in pitch (e.g. if old drive has a 17 on it, try a 21P) and try it. If you can't get on plane or achieve rated WOT rpm (4200-4600) you'll need the 3.0 upper.

where you might hit a brick wall is if the boat is small and already used a 21P prop on the correct original drive.....because a 25P prop is less efficient and tougher to find

wasn't too long ago someone was asking about bolting a 3.0 ratio drive to their 2.3 powered boat- a search might yield a swap candidate because I think they were down to a very low pitch prop (11 or 13P) and not having success as I recall

also keep in mind Cobra shift linkage adjustments and shift rod height specs changed year to year so if the 2.3 and 3.0 are different years, you may have linkage adjustment issues- easily rectified by getting the factory manual and verifying dimensions and following adjustment processes

Hystat,

THanks for the info. I did a search and found the conversation I think you were talking about. I PM'd the guy and will see what works out. In the meantime I guess I am back to the drawing board. :-(

Thanks

Back