Logo

Revive old b67 4 cylinder 60 hp evinrude

J

John Mathews

" I purchased a '67 60 hp

" I purchased a '67 60 hp evinrude outboard. It looks in good shape but appears to have been sitting for 20 years or more. This is my first experience with boats and outboards. I've taken the fuel pump apart and rebuilt it since it was not pumping, and the old parts and diaphram all were OK once cleaned. New points, plugs and now I've started on the carb. Any pointers
I should know before hand? I don't yet have a rebuild
kit - not sure I can purchase one. The shop manual won't arrive until next week either. I have already had the lower unit apart and cleaned out the wasp nests and the water pump looks brand new.
Thanks. "

"John.... Pertaining to the ca

"John.... Pertaining to the carburetor, in the lower body portion, there are two high speed nozzles (one in each throat) that are attached with two screws each. Since each throat will be feeding two cylinders, those two nozzles have to be aligned perfectly, and that takes a special tool. I assume you don't have that tool so before you remove those four screws, I'd suggest that you take a very sharp scribe and outline carefully where the nozzles attach to the lower carb body.

I may have some parts left in my remaining stock for that engine. When/if you need a part sometime, let me know via my e-mail address.

Joe
"

Thanks for the tip Joe; I may

Thanks for the tip Joe; I may be begging parts here soon too! Not sure if I'm wasting my time or not though. The engine will be going on a little bayliner
3 seater and the prop depth is not quite as low as the original Force engine was. Its about 2 inches higher in the water. Mounting will be an issue too since the Force 50 had the steering rod as part of the
engine pivot.
John

" OK, I've finaly managed

" OK, I've finaly managed to get the carb apart without breaking it - was really stuck togeather. The float needle was plugged, but I've soaked it in paint thinner and then used soap and water to clean everything out. Joe, I was very careful to mark those high speed venturi as you mentioned, & only removed one to check for varnish. I HOPE I've got it back in the right spot! Anyway, I got it all clean and used air to dry; I placed a garbage can full of water under the prop making sure the entire lower end was submerged and had a go at firing her up. After not too much trouble, I was able start it and the idle sounds smooth and even. After about 30 seconds, I killed it and felt the cylinders for heat. Starboard two felt warm but port side cylinders felt HOT! I saw no water exiting from the hole above water line either. Should water be shooting from this hole, or is that only at high speed? I can't locate a themostat on the engine anywhere either. The pump looks very nice & should move water, but I don't see any; I'm thinking I should pull it off and force water from a hose up the tube to clear the engine of any bugs or debris that may be up there. Any ideas? "

Back