Logo

For Joe Reeves amp others Re Fuel pump on 2 hp Evinrude

F

Fred Bear

" I use a 1976 2 hp Evinrude t

" I use a 1976 2 hp Evinrude to troll on Cdn. Lakes.
I would like to put a fuel pump on it to avoid having to fill the tank in the middle of the lake.
A fellow who is knowledgeable on OB's showed me where to drill & tap a fitting on the intake side of the crank case to add a small standard OMC fuel pump. He suggested it could be connected with a short tube & mounted on a fabricated bracket at a convenient place.
Do you concur, & do you know the part # of a small OMC fuel pump that would be suitable to use? "

" Fred..... That's a touch

" Fred..... That's a touchy one my friend. The single cylinder 2hp Evinrude/Johnson engines really don't have that much crankcase pressure, which is what's needed to operate a fuel pump. And the majority of the smaller fuel pumps are designed to screw up tight against the engine crankcase itself whereas the pump obtains the pressure/vacumm operating sequence through a passageway that's located in back of the pump. Some of the larger hp engines were of a different design whereas they had a seperate fitting that led to the crankcase, such as what you're speaking of but just which one might be suitable is a unknown factor at the moment. I'll check into it and get back to you. (Joe - 30+ years with OMC) "

" Fred.... The only two pumps

" Fred.... The only two pumps I found in my stock that utilize a seperate line from the pump to the crankcase which is what you're looking for are as follows:

(New)A rectangular (sort of) type pump such as would be on a 2 cyl 55hp Evinrude, OMC #438559, listing for approx $50.00 . (Sell for 30.00) Takes 1/4" ID fuel hose.

(New)The old type V/4 engines used this one. All metal with a glass see through bowl that contains a nylon filter. An excellent pump but a little large. OMC #377602, listing for approx $127.00 . (Sell for $45.00) Also takes 1/4" fuel hose.

You can see that using 1/4" hose, that fitting you would have to install in the block/crankcase would be fairly large. No problem on the larger engines but on a 2hp? Something to think about.

Sorry I couldn't help you farther. (Joe - 30+ years with OMC) "

" Joe--- Thanks for the info.

" Joe--- Thanks for the info. I am also thinking of the possibility of simply putting a fitting in the fill cap on the 2 hp tank & connecting the tank hose to it & using the squeeze bulb to keep fuel in the tank that way. I think I could put a hose fitting in the cap & put an OMC fitting on the other end of a suitable hose. It would not need to be full, but just plenty to keep the engine running. That would eliminate trying to refuel the tank from a can. Comments?
Thank you for the help & info.
Fred "

Back