Logo

Problems with Reverse Gear

D

Don Pitchford

" I have a 1985 Mariner 5hp ou

" I have a 1985 Mariner 5hp outboard motor that has problems getting it into reverse gear. When I try to put it in reverse, I can sometime hear the gears grinding, sometime I can't move the lever at all. The gear lever is tight for forward and neutral, but the transmission doesn't have a problem putting in forward or neurtal. Any thoughs? "

" Don,

If the shift lever i

" Don,

If the shift lever is tough to move you have to determine if the problem is the shift linkage or in the gearcase itself.

The easiest way to do this is to remove the lower unit and see if the shift lever is easier to move.

If the lever is still tight with the lower removed you have to take the shift lever and linkage apart and free it up. This is a common problem with these engines. There is a spring and a ball bearing which rides on a cam. This serves to cause the shift lever to lock in position when the lower unit is in forward, neutral or reverse. This mechanism can get very tight. The shift shaft can also bind as it passes throuigh the bushing.

If the lever moves freely when you remove the lower unit, then the problem is most likely that the shift rod is binding in the bushing where it enters the lower unit. It may also be binding below the bushing where it passes through the casing. If the problem is in the lower unit you will have to take it apart to fix it properly.

Tony "

Back